Limited space: singles or groups?

ptwonlineApril 16, 2014

So I am hoping to use daylilies to fill out some of the spaces in my small garden, but realistically I do not have room for many, but there are so many types I would like to plant!

So now I am wondering: should I plant maybe 2 different types in groups of 3 for effect, or should I go ahead and plant a larger variety but in singles where I can?

I know that grouping has more impact, but I feel bummed out that there are so many that I would have no space for. Since my garden is relatively small (about 16x12 and several shrubs) I was hoping that even singles would pack some punch.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mantis__oh

It all depends on the effect you want to have. Most of us would choose just one plant of each variety, since it multiplies and forms a clump that makes quite an impact (in about 3 years). However, if you are making a perennial garden in which color coordination is important, you might choose to use clusters of daylilies of the same cultivar as part of your garden. In a perennial garden at the hospital, I do use some big yellows of the same cultivar and some multiples of repeat bloomers; but generally, I stick to one of each.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 12:03AM
ptwonline

Ok so I looked up a video about dividing daylilies and I did not realize that the clumps got so big! I guess I'll just need one of each then and wait for them to fill in.

So what do people do with extra divided daylilies they have no space for? If you can't give them away do you just compost them?

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 11:06AM
mantis__oh

Wish I had that problem with some expensive cultivars. There will be no need to divide for several years--as long as the clump keeps blooming well. And then, yes, treat the extras as compost if you have no recipients.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
in case anyone is interested
here is the link to Daylily Mecca info , in case anyone...
signet_gw
I need help on plant choice for a narrow strip walkway 1' X 40'
I live in Southern California beach area. Currently...
anna
Rain, Rain Go Away...
We have had an abundance of rain...I am glad, but am...
organic_kitten
Daylily Grab Bag
I found a plant sale given by our local Daylily Society....
srks72
Best deer repellant?
I'm fairly new at daylillies, and I know that the deer...
bigack
Sponsored Products
New Cat Condos Round Multi Cat Scratcher - 110024 - BEIGE
$52.99 | Hayneedle
Set of Five Luxury Men's Clamp Trouser Hangers
$65.50 | FRONTGATE
Ambiance Tierra Red Slate LED Large Rectangular Outdoor Wall Sconce with Perfora
$388.00 | Bellacor
Station Square Collection 24" High Outdoor Post Light
Lamps Plus
VWW 3528 Quad Row LED Strip Light 450/m 28mm wide 3.2m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Charles Petite Leather Sofa in Black
$999.00 | LexMod
Element Classic Task Light by Humanscale
$329.00 | Lumens
Over the Door Mirror Cabinet
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: