WANTED: Milkweed

rainydaywoman_z8(8)March 7, 2014

I live in Eugene OR. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I might find common wild milkweed seeds? Not knowing the actual name of the plant, I can't look online for the seeds. I have an unused lot where I would like to start milkweed for Monarch butterflies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I think you're looking for Asclepias syriaca.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepias

Here is a link that might be useful: Asclepius wikipedia

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 3:12AM
aurorawa(8B)

I have a BUNCH of Milkweed (A. Incarnata "Soulmate" aka swamp milkweed) seedlings, if you are interested.
No clue where you can get common milkweed from, but I had success in Texas, my home state with this as a monarch host plant. Up here in the Puget Sound (military transfer), I have never seen a Monarch, but it is my hope that if I plant enough of these, and share enough of them, Monarchs will eventually visit.
If you would rather wait, within the next few weeks, my milkweed should bloom and seed, and I can send you seeds then. You should be able to sow them this summer and have them start sprouting, and by next spring, they just may be large enough to flower.
Mine was a transfer seedling when I brought it up here, about 3 inches long. Second season growing and I had flowers.
A word of warning, this thing seeds like crazy!

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 1:00AM
mikan5080

You live in Eugene, the only milkweed you should be growing is asclepias speciosa. I'm in Beaverton and i have lots of seeds if you are still interested. email me and I can send you free seeds if you snail mail me a self-addressed envelope.

Bookmark   December 30, 2014 at 7:23PM
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

FYI, I've got A. syriaca in my garden near Seattle. It does OK, but would prefer more heat. No Monarch butterflies here, alas. A. speciosa is much prettier, shorter, with bigger flowers. A. incarnate does well here. And A. tuberosa if you can find a hot gravelly south facing slope on which to grow it.
Best,
Jim

Bookmark   January 24, 2015 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
WANTED: starting my first garden , family needs help.
I'm a mother to 3 children whom this year are all goin...
pumpkinmommy
WANTED: hosta, flowers at Green Elephant
I'll be coming from Port Angeles for the Green Elephant...
jburesh1388
WANTED: Tommy Toe tomatoes
I have: Henderson's Pink Ponderosa tomatoes from Baker...
briergardener_gw
WANTED: Akebia Quinata "Chocolate Vine"
Hi, anyone have rooted cuttings or extra Akebia Quinata's...
Brandon_the_Random
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™