Hosenemesis & leetle daisies

ginnierApril 29, 2013

About those little white daisies.......When I google them, I find daisies that are short, yes, but they don't look itty bitty like yours. Are the ones you have under 1/2" in diameter? They LOOK like it, but maybe your roses and other flowers are that much larger. Do you know which daisy you have?
I do see from the descriptions that they take a decent amount of moisture too...so do you water extra...or are they "on their own"?

I just love that look of tiny daisies under larger flowers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Hi Ginnier,
Those are annual Paludosum daisies, and they are about an inch across on a good day. I water twice a week at minimum, year-round. The daisies last from about the end of March to the end of May, then the beds look barren!
Renee

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:51PM

You know, Santa Barbara daisies are even leeteler and perennial. You might try those.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 1:55PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

How little is little?
I have Blackfoot daisies.

Here is a link that might be useful: blackfoot daisy

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:39PM
Sandi_W(7b/8)

Renee,

The Paludosum daisies look great in your bed. Do you plant anything to replace them when they die out?

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 4:48PM

No, I'm too tuckered out by then and it's just too hot here. I used to try vincas, but it's too expensive to buy them and too hard to grow from seed. I'm slowly buying more perennials like alstroemerias to fill between the roses and irises.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 8:29PM
onederw

My paludosums start to decline at about the same time as the first spring flush--of pretty much everything--is winding down. When they get leggy and often mildewy, I yank them out. Usually that happens around Mother's Day or so. When I pull them, it looks like the garden has been attacked by moths.
I tried Santa Barbara daisies, and I have lots of them elsewhere, but they just don't have the punch of the paludosums. (And besides, they keep trying to take over the universe. Profusion erigeron is well named.) Like Renee, I tried vinca. Meh. What I discovered last year for a filler is white scaveola. Up close, the flowers look completely different from c. paludosum, but from afar, the scattered effect of little white stars is similar. And they stand up to heat pretty well.

Kay

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 9:22AM

I'll try it, Kay.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday
Good Saturday morning, cottagers!! Fine snow is sifting...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardenernc7b
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™