Picea omorika

plantmarker(z7 NC)June 5, 2011

Hello -

I wanted to find out a little bit about the suitability for growing Picea omorika in the Southeastern U.S. - USDA Zone 7A. I live in west central North Carolina. I have a concern, whether justified or not, as to if the high heat/humidity of our Summers will adversely affect this species and its cultivars.

Can anyone shed light on this, especially those who live in this area? If it can be grown successfully, does it require any special site placement - filtered sun, protection from afternoon sun, etc.?

Thanks so much!

PlantMarker

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texjagman(7A)

I live in the heat belt of Oklahoma.....same zone as you with probably more 100+ degree days than your area. I have had very good luck with omorika....especially 'Nana', 'Pendula', & 'Pendula Bruns'. I've had all three of those in full sun with no burning. My 'Pimoko' and 'Papoose' needed some afternoon shade though.

mark

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 10:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidrt28 (zone 7)

You can always check here, too. Looks like it's been a while since they've done a full inventory.

http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/horticulture/current_plantings/current_plantings_advanced_search.html

Here is a link that might be useful: NCSU plantings

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 7:18AM
More Discussions
"Best" Pseudotsuga for cold, eastern areas.
I'd like to add just a few Doug-trees to my menagerie...
wisconsitom
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my pseudotsuga macrocarpa
bluethuja
Pinus Nigra hardiness
We had a brutal temp swing in November after a very...
treebarb Z5 Denver
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
Deodar Cedar planted out back....
Finally got the hole dug and the Cedar in-ground. Lots...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™