Dug & divided today - can I plant or let them sit out a bit?

juliamay67April 15, 2014

Mike McGroarty has a video on Youtube where he is dividing daylilies. In it he says to let the divisions sit in the sun a few days to heal any injuries.

I went ahead and did my best today but certainly broke many tubers (?) and even had to cut some apart. (These were terribly neglected and large clumps of plants.)

Should I let mine dry out or plant them right away? If they all survive, I will have tons of plants.

Thank you so much,

Julia in Woodinville, WA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FarawayFarmer(9a)

For what it's worth, I always plant them immediately - why leave them in the sun to dry out?

Trim the foliage back, plant them, and you'll see growth almost immediately.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 7:34PM
mantis__oh

I don't see any reason to let them dry out. They certainly will store for some time (in the shade, perhaps with occasional moisture).

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 9:28PM
FarawayFarmer(9a)

That's true. To kill a daylily, you really have to work at it. That being said, why stress the plant more than necessary?
John

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 10:40AM
gardenper(8)

I have also heard those same instructions about letting the lily callus over first but I did what others are saying -- I divided the lily and planted it right back into the ground.

Seems to be doing OK so far. Put out lots of new growth, even wider than the original patch was doing earlier this year before I split it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 10:53AM
xokientx(z7aOK)

If you're in an area that suffers from crown rot, at certain times of the year, it will be wise to let the cut area callus over before replanting. Over-night should suffice.
During the heat of summer, it's also wise to pot the cut plant up so you can control the amount of water and sun it gets.
Ed

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:17PM
FarawayFarmer(9a)

There's a product call Ban-Rot that one of the hybridizers uses - he talks about it in his blog.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:57PM
organic_kitten(8)

Is it dry or wet your way? It has been a very rainy April here so far, so I wouldn't be planting except in a pot for a bit. If it weren't so damp I would plant now.
kay

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:17PM
FarawayFarmer(9a)

Not very rainy here in central Florida this year (so far).

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:10PM
juliamay67

Actually, I wrote this yesterday when it was dry. I was so pooped after digging & dividing, I thought it would plant today. Today it is rainy out. :(

I'm thinking I'd better get them in soon, though. I probably have about 20+ plants to find homes for.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Spiders in the garden.
I was thinking maybe we could do a post with everyone's...
Billi
Thank you Sherry
Thank you, Sherry, for starting the alphabet posts....
hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
Let's se those perfect "P" and "Q" daylilies!
It is time for the P and Q daylily pictures! I am cuious...
sherrygirl zone5
Cures for Cabin Fever!
It has been too long this winter we are having!! Too...
Cindy zone 6a
Marvelous "M" daylilies, let's see them!
It's time for the M daylilies and I actually have a...
sherrygirl zone5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™