WANTED: Non-Chemical Blackberry spray?

simplelife16April 27, 2014

We just moved to a home on 10 flat/rolling acres with build up of blackberry bushes in some areas. A gentleman just came out to let us know that he has been spraying & harvesting hay from the land for the last 20+years. We'd like to continue letting him harvest, but without chemical spray. We want to maintain our land as chemically-free as possible. Does anyone have any ideas to make this a win/win? We want to remove the blackberry bushes & plant gardens, orchard, etc. anyone know of a safe way (other than brush-hog or destroying the soil) to get rid of the blackberry bushes taking over? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steelhead215(8a)

Blackberries are virtually impossible to remove completely even with spraying and or digging the roots, because the birds keep planting them. ;o)
My understanding is that if they are kept mowed down, they will 'eventually' starve and die back, but you'll probably be fighting them for a long time.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 6:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JIrene1(8)

A helpful person at a local nursery advised that we use a paint brush to "paint" round up onto the freshly cut portion of the blackberry stem once we'd removed the majority of them and cut them way down. She said this would limit the nasty chemical from spreading to the surrounding environment. Not sure how effective it was - just did it a few weeks ago, then put a fence up in front of the area. I did find a natural product on the web, out of Seattle, called "Blackberry & Brush Blocker" which was a vinegar based spray:
http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/homegarden/article/From-the-Garden-New-vinegar-based-sprays-safely-1056568.php
but I couldn't find anywhere to purchase it, even after checking manufacturer website, Amazon, etc. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Date correction Olympia Plant Swap 2015
The date should be September 13, 2014. See post below...
barbe_wa
WANTED: Indoor growing
Is there any eye protection needed when growing under...
BobSchmokel
WANTED: Akebia Quinata "Chocolate Vine"
Hi, anyone have rooted cuttings or extra Akebia Quinata's...
Brandon_the_Random
WANTED: starting my first garden , family needs help.
I'm a mother to 3 children whom this year are all goin...
pumpkinmommy
WANTED: Milkweed
Posting this message again as I logged in on a really...
vmpalmerton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™