Xpost: Losing the lawn--a Sunset photo gallery

jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)April 22, 2011

Xpost from CA Gardening forum:

Sometimes we talk about how plants used here in the West are different than those used in other regions where gardeners can count on summer rains. Our local paper, in conjunction with Sunset magazine, has an interesting gallery of 20 photos on Western yards that have replaced lawn with different colorful, water saving designs.

I thought the folks here might enjoy taking a look at some of these beautiful gardens. Although not strictly cottage, they are visually pleasing, with color, texture, and yes, flowers too.

Here is a link that might be useful: X-post: Losing the lawn photo gallery

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natalie4b(7b GA)

Love it - I have basically lawn-free garden, and so happy I did it!

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 6:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

I am SO looking forward to doing this to my front lawn in Texas! Last week I went to a class on water sustaining, and built a 55 gallon rain barrel from a food grade drum. The class was so interesting, learned stuff I had never thought about before - we really are getting to a place where we need to get away from watering so much. With all the new houses, businesses, parking lots, malls, etc our land is quickly getting covered. Texas only has one natural lake, the rest are man made, mostly during the 30's to provide water for later population growth but it's not enough. Our largest water user in the Dallas/Ft Worth area is the airport, cleaning planes, runways, deicing, etc.

I'll quit rambling here - just one other thing, should have known this, but all our potable water is recycled over and over for our use, but runoff from overwatering, etc. ends up in the storm drains which empty into the creeks around here. That means fertilizer and lots of other stuff ends up in the creeks.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Blackberry lily (Belamcanda chinensis)
This is my attempt to post. This is a plant I haven't...
frogview00
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™