Lawrie Springate

coniferjoy(z7 The Netherlands)June 25, 2011

Dear members,

I just got a message from the Derek Spicer who's the chairman of the British Conifer Society.

He told me that Lawrie Springate died last Thursday morning probably from a heart attack in his sleep.

Lawrie was a plant registar for the Royal Hortical Society (R.H.S.) and was busy at this moment with a follow up for the World Checklist of Conifers in which I helped him a lot with writing conifers names in a good way and the discriptions of these.

He will be a huge loss for the Britisch Conifer Society and for the registrated plants world.

Stephen, maybe you can add some more...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

RIP. I know the name from the Sedum fancy. In addition to RHS, I believe he was connected to the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 6:15PM
bluespruce53(Dorset UK)

Sorry to hear that Edwin, and I didn't know he had died. As I'm a bit out of the loop regarding the BCS these days. Yes he was thee conifer registrar with the RHS, until they cut back on the funding a year or so ago, and I'm not too sure if he was still trying to carry on this work under his own steam. What i do know is he was very meticulous in the work and information he had compiled to date, one of the best in fact IMO and will be a sad loss to the conifer world.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 3:32AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Condolences from America.

Dax

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 9:55AM
sprucebud

Lawrie came on the British Conifer Society visit to Thorp Perrow arboretum only last weekend (18 June) and before we had the guided tour he was chatting to me about his work on this book. Since there were only ten of us who made the trip it seems all the more poignant that this should have happened.
Richard

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
hardening off new plants from the PNW
do we.. in the cold north.. just slap them in the ground.....
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Is this Abies borisii-regis?
I have some doubts. I would greatly appreciate some...
lcadem78
Larix decidua 'Pendula' & Picea abies 'Spring Fire'
I am looking for Larix decidua 'Pendula'. I understand...
ladylotus
Arborvitae which branches' colour is changing
I have three Thujas, that i had for almost 2 years...
the_delinquent
Evergreen Experts, Please Help Me Identify This Tree!
I have fallen in love with a tree I saw last year,...
commanderducky
Sponsored Products
72" Lawrie Hammered Copper Freestanding Tub - No Overflow
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™