WANTED: Good news/Bad news

clc70(8 Wa.)May 6, 2009

I finally IDed my mystery plant that I had planned to bring to the Olympia trade this weekend. Bad news is--it's yellow loosestife. Lysimachia punctata. I'm finding mixed info, but I believe it may very well be aggressive, however, info says shallow roots and not too hard to irradicate. Still I don't beleave I will bring it unless someone specifically asks for it. At this point I'm going to do some serious thinking if I even want to plant it out in my garden (it's all in pots). Sigh.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayakay

Opps, I just now read your butterfly flower name: Loosestrife. Good research on your part to get it identified. Now I would not want that plant -- it is a serious invader plant. So set aside multiple white violet in a pot and I will do the same for the tiarella. I'm interested in the stream violets (yellow), but just returned from out of town and haven't researched it yet.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 3:57AM
clc70(8 Wa.)

Hi Kayakay. You will love these little yellow stream violets. They are a pacific northwest natural. They slowly spread in shady areas to form a solid mass in early spring with cheery yellow blooms above the folage. They are in full bloom right now so you will get to see how pretty they are. They are drought tolerent, and if not watered throughout the summer they go dorment until next spring. I've had mine for 20 + years and would not be without them. I will bring you a large clump to start with, these are easy keepers without being invasive.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 12:11PM
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

It's the Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) that is the wetland invader. Lysimachia punctata is not a problem. Lysimachia vulgaris is on the list. Both L. punctata and L. vulgaris have pretty yellow flowers and endear themselves to gardeners. But neither one is the kind of menace that Purple loostrife is to wetlands.

Best Regards
Jim Eichner
GreenElephant

Here is a link that might be useful: Class B noxious weeds for WA state

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
HAVE: Drawf Snapdragon Seeds
Drawf Snapdragon seeds collected from last years flower...
GeekyGarderningGirl
WANTED: Marionberry Cutting(Redmond Microsoft)
Anyone have any extra Marionberry suckers or will allow...
Brandon_the_Random
WANTED: Tetrapanax Papyrifer
Hi, Looking for pups or seeds for this plant in the...
Aranya
WANTED: hosta, flowers at Green Elephant
I'll be coming from Port Angeles for the Green Elephant...
jburesh1388
willow cuttings, any length
Will take as many willow cuttings as able to get to...
oliveoyl3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™