WANTED: Native Irises (Iris tenax)

thane(z8 Bellevue, WA)June 4, 2008

Hi everyone. I'm told that irises spread well and need dividing every year, so everyone ends up with extras. Does anyone have some native iris divisions to trade?

I'm specifically seeking Iris tenax, but I'd be interested in some of the irises that are native to other parts of the Northwest, like Iris douglasiana, Iris setosa or Iris chrysophylla.

If you are looking for something in return, let me know what kind of thing you're interested in and I'll see if I have anything.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

I was given a native Pacific coast iris at a plant swap. The gardener was not sure what variety it was. Here is a photo. I also have lots of hybrid Pacific coast iris for trade. There are photo's on my trade list. If you are interested, LMK. Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Karen's trade list

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 11:53PM
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

Hi Thane, I went to the PCI society web site and keyed this out. This iris is I. douglasiana. Karen

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 9:51AM
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

Hi, I did find a pot of Iris tenax in my pot jungle. Are you still looking for it? If you are interested in it LMK soon. Pacific coast iris can only be divided when they are actively growing. Karen

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 11:07AM
thane(z8 Bellevue, WA)

Karen, yes! I would love some iris tenax. Those other irises look great too. I am emailing you directly. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 1:27PM
nancybeetoo(wOR USDAz8)

Flowerfan said:
Pacific coast iris can only be divided when they are actively growing.

Is this true? Why would these iris be different from other iris? I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

PS I came to this post because I was looking for information on the watering needs of Iris tenax.

Do they need summer water in the Willamette Valley (Oregon)?
Nancy

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 10:47AM
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

Hi Nancy, yes the PCI are a little different from others. It goes dormant in the summer. If you divide them when they are dormant they die. Spring and fall when they are actively growing is the best time. You will see new white shoots on their roots. I usually divide mine late September or early October. The first year or 2 when you are getting a plant established it needs extra water. After that they are very drought tolerant. That is one of the reasons I started to grow them. I get tired of watering in our dry summers. Karen

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Tetrapanax Papyrifer
Hi, Looking for pups or seeds for this plant in the...
Aranya
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
HAVE: Spring Green Elephant Plant Swap, Sat, Mar 7, Redmond
You are invited to the Spring Green Elephant Plant...
greenelephant
WANTED: hosta, flowers at Green Elephant
I'll be coming from Port Angeles for the Green Elephant...
jburesh1388
WANTED: Akebia Quinata "Chocolate Vine"
Hi, anyone have rooted cuttings or extra Akebia Quinata's...
Brandon_the_Random
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™