Hobbiton conifers of the week, June 18th

firefightergardener(7/8)June 21, 2012

So I continue to be a little behind but I have more photos of some conifers I'm growing that I can share.

Tsuga canadensis 'Ashfield Weeper' - A strongly weeping, beautiful, fast growing hemlock.

Cedrus libani var. atlantica 'Uwe' - oooh vey, a very cool little plant. Hard to grow sometimes but my two specimens are alive still three years in.

Picea pungens 'Blue Fingers' - New to me, source: Conifer Kingdom.

Pinus mugo(x densiflora I believe) 'Edsal Wood' - Distinct and slow growing.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Seattle Mountain' - My first inexplicably died in a few months for no apparent reason - boy is it a lovely color.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'El Dorado' - A new golden offering from Conifer Kingdom - a shockingly bright cultivar, even with our cool, cloudy Springs it is showing great potential.

Picea pungens 'Blaukissen' - Superb color and shape, compares favorably to 'Blue Pearl' I think I prefer this plant.

Tsuga canadensis 'Everitt's Golden' - A marvelous gold even with part shade.

Abies koreana 'Brevifolia' - I love the silvery, lush foliage of the korean fir. This one looks somewhat upright/formal.

Acer palmatum 'Jewels' - A Stanley and Sons gem - this little lady grows an inch or two a year, very very compact. Larry said this tree was in the neighborhood of 10-12 years old(and it's under 40 centimeters/15 inches).

A landscape shot, the corner of the driveway. The maples provide amazing color 9 months of the year.

-Will

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

Who's Hobbiton?

Dave

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:20PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

That Picea pungens 'Blaukissen' sure is a nice specimen. Where did you find that one?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:46PM
firefightergardener(7/8)

That's the one, Will, a tribute to my favorite literature. Hobbiton is the neighborhood of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins of J.R.R. Tolkien/Lord of the Rings Lore. It's a fantasy land where things are small and people love plants of all types. Both seem very appropriate especially considering I have plants named 'Hobbit', 'Elf', 'Pixie', 'Gnome' and plenty of dwarves amongst my denizens.

Picea pungens 'Blaukissen' was a Coenosium Gardens purchase about 3 years ago. I don't know if he stocks it still or not.

Finally, a correction, as the duplicate image is:

Pinus mugo(x densiflora I believe) 'Edsal Wood' - Distinct and slow growing.

-Will

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 11:08PM
dietzjm

Beautiful plants, as always Will. I could look at pictures of your conifers forever.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
What are these trees?
What are these two conifers? One is blue/gray with...
edlincoln
multiple leaders on spruce
Hello, Thanks for reading this post, and for the help...
jasonvohs
Buying Cedrus libani var. stenocoma seedlings or seeds
Can anyone recommend where to buy the hardy subspecies...
kanssouri
Germinating Juniper (occidentalis and communis)
simple in terms of just planting them and waiting or...
sequoia_stiffy
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™