Always look on the bright side...

newbiehavinfun(7a - Southern NJ)April 29, 2011

I was just thinking about how hot it was last summer in the Northeast and how I felt like crying when those successive heat waves came through after I'd done so much late spring planting, when it occurred to me: All of the plants that survived have proven their heat tolerance and should be fine for whatever summer throws at us this year. Yay!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

Anything that can survive 4 months straight without a drop of rain deserves a second chance in my book and quite a few of the things I grew last year showed just how tough they are! A couple of things disappeared from lack of water and I thought I'd lost them but I'm tickled pink to see they're up again this year, looking a little thin but I guess they must have ducked down under the dirt and just waited for the moisture to revive them.

I lost a few things I didn't expect to and was surprised some others survived that I thought might give up the ghost with the extreme cold (minus 19 degrees) and unrelenting snow (8 ft.). One thing's certain--with all that snow plus the heavy rains we've had this spring, come summer there should be no need to worry about the aquifers !!! I can water the flowerbeds if need be without biting my nails hoping the well doesn't go dry.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™