Picea Omorika 'Westerstede'

greatplainsturf(6/7 OK)July 20, 2011

Saw a small 3' one at the nursery today. I can't find much info online about it. Can anyone fill me in? Anyone have any pics? Does it grow like pendula?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

Picea omorika 'Westerstede'

An upright evergreen conifer with a narrow form and drooping side branches. Needles are dark green with silvery undersides. Prefers full sun in well-drained soil. 6' tall x 3' wide in 10 years. Hardy ...Buchholtz

Link has a photo.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Westerstede

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 7:56AM
greatplainsturf(6/7 OK)

Thanks Dave

I'm looking for an image of a more mature specimen. I have a spot in a bed where I have 6' horizontally. Just want to know if this is a good fit. Obviously don't want something too big, but I don't want one too small either.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 10:37AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

often.. you will never find pix of mature specimens.. good luck with that ...

frankly.. i dont see much of a difference to 'pendula' ... they all show blue tissue .... its actualy a waxy substance on the bottom of the needle.. and as they droop ... the ends turn up slightly showing the bottoms ...

i would not pay a premium for the name ... nor also buy 'pendula' .. because you might never see a difference ..

all that said.. they are HUGE trees ....

your pic already shows an 8 inch leader growth .... and i wouldnt be surprised if that is not increased as the plant ages ...

all this said.. if joy pops in ... and says its dwarf compared to the generic.. so be it .... i wasted 20 minutes and a walk into the heat to check mine. ... lol

ken

ps: there is a german nursery on wolterdingen .. or something like that.. but i cant remember the name ... joy??? web link.???

found it:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.tsuga.de/&ei=5QknTsnVGuaq0AG-h_3TCg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHorstmann%2BNursery%2Bin%2BSchneverdingen%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DfQG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1086%26bih%3D949%26prmd%3Divnsfd

but i cant get page 0ne of picea ... this MIGHT be where the name plant comes from .... i did make it past page one.. in the online catalog .... but alas.. its not listed there ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link -- look down the page for potential

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
What tall conifers for north side of house ?
I live in zone 5a. The north side of my century home...
Erika
Best Conifers/Design Ideas for Full Sun, Wet Clay Soil in pH of 7.8
Hi Everyone, I'm working on redesigning a space for...
Select Landscapes of Iowa
Is this Abies borisii-regis?
I have some doubts. I would greatly appreciate some...
lcadem78
Weeping Hemlock in NJ
Hi all! I am a regular on the lawn care forum, but...
danielj_2009
emerald green problems, maybe
Hi, I purchased emerald green arborvitaes (or at least...
evo_lution
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™