Bought Beautiful Columbines Today (pics)

newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)April 25, 2011

I have this section of my garden planned for Columbines. So I just couldn't believe it when I saw all these absolutely gorgeous Columbines at Home Depot today. Now before you laugh, our Home Depot has a fabulous nursery section. I can't tell you how many of the plants and especially shrubs in my garden are from Home Depot. Anyway, here are pictures of the ones I bought.

I bought a flat of violas, some cucumber plants, some little daisy like flowers, potting soil and some more fertilizer also. Oh and two flates of impatients. Let the planting begin :-))

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenweed_z6a

Oooohhh . . . those are SO beautiful! I might just follow your lead and create my own little Columbine Corner! I have a lot of them here and there on my little green acre.

I too succumbed to temptation at a local nursery that fortunately/unfortunately (depending on your point of view) I pass every day going to work. They had their own nursery-grown columbines at a price even I could afford so I bought a yellow one and a blue one. The flowers on the blue one, 'Songbird Blue' are 4 inches in diameter--biggest columbine flower I've ever seen. Both plants are loaded with buds so they're gonna put on quite a show.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 6:55PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Those are very pretty. They only had the two tone types that I bought but I liked the ones that I chooze. I bought some small plants of the songbird series last year and they are growing nicely this year.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 7:15PM
lydiasmomma(z4 NY)

Very pretty! I've always been happy with anything I've purchased in the Garden Center at HD. Plus it satisfies my need for instant gratification.

~Renee

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 9:43PM
organic_kitten(8)

Those are beautful Rita! I especally like the red (surprise, surprise hih)?

kay

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 1:00AM
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

I have columbine all over my various gardens - all of mine are originally from seed from my mothers garden over 15 years ago. They reseed everywhere but over the years most have lost the bi-color feature. I love the McKennas Giants and plan to wintersown some this year to introduce the bi-color back.

Love that red/white one - so vibrant .....

Lynne

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 9:10AM
lavender_lass(4b)

I think they're all pretty but I love the purple one! I know a lot of people say blue/lavender, but that one is definitely purple :)

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 1:07PM

I didn't have any particuliar colors in mind for my Columbines before I bought any. I do like the ones with long spurs and love the bi-colors. I just picked what looked pretty to me.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 4:23PM
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

Pretty, pretty, pretty!

When the seeds dry, just scatter them around where ever you want more. I always scatter seeds at the time they begin to fall, as I figure Mother Nature knows better than seed package directions.
The few that do well here grow very well from seed.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 1:39PM

Very pretty. I am planning on letting them self sow after they bloom. Should work :-))

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 1:49PM
kathi_mdgd

Yes they will self sow.Mine are starting to bloom now as well.I have the pink/white, purple and other colors that i can't remember now.Will have to look thru last years pictures or wait for them to bloom.I love columbines!!
Kathi

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 2:31PM

I planted them today. It looks so pretty what with all the different colors. Especially as the tulips and daffs are blooming directly in front of them. I will take and post a picture tomorrow so you can all see.

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 5:34PM
scully931(6)

I LOVE that third one - the blue, almost whitish one.
And I wouldn't laugh at buying from HD. I too have bought lovely flowers from them. Got some good ones at Lowe's this year too!

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 11:10PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

WOW!! Rita,I LOVE them red and white ones. Gorgeous, really gorgeous.the others are pretty, but not like them red and white ones.

Jean

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 11:56PM

I did plant them all yesterday and do laugh at my Columbines all from Home Depot but they were so pretty and their prices can't be beatten. I really had nothing in this garden last year and just planted bulbs in the fall. I am now officially calling this the Columbine garden LOL :-))

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 12:18PM
jenangelcat

Beautiful. Columbines are my favourite flower.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 2:19PM
msrose

How pretty! My favorite is the red & white. I bought my 1st Columbine this year and it also happened to be from either HD or Lowes. It was White Swan which had really big blooms. Unfortunately, it looks like it's dying, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 3:43PM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Columbines are my favorites, too! Your garden is wonderful Rita!

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 3:52PM
organic_kitten(8)

They really look beautiful all planted.
kay

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 7:42PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Rita and Eileen..love your columbines. I have a lot and they reseed like crazy. I have McCann's and they are pretty tall. I planted clementine blue and reds last year and didn't care for them. They didn't get tall. I don't have any of the fancy varieties. I have quite a few packs of seeds that I acquired at the seed swap in Feb. that I haven't planted yet. Some of them are blues, burgundy/black(I'm betting it is a Barlow variety)They are completely maintence free and mine are ready to pop with color if we get a few days of warm sunshine and no rain. The shasta daisies are also ready to bloom. I have a "woods poppy" that was given to me last year. In fact, I think I have two of them.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 4:07PM
gardenweed_z6a

I'm with you pippi21 about the clementine columbines--I don't really find them as elegant as the classic, long-spurred forms. Same goes for those "bonnet" or petticoat types. The long spurs of the songbird columbines really ring my chimes bloomwise. I like the pastel colors in spring too altho' that red in the first photo really pops!

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 6:44PM
newbiehavinfun(7a - Southern NJ)

rita,
They look lovely. I especially like the light blue columbine.

gardenweed,
I am in the same boat as you: I pass by a Home Depot (with a very nice nursery selection) on my way to and from work. Yesterday on my way to pick up my daughter after work, I bought a rose. Today I bought it a companion. Tomorrow, perhaps some stock--between the stock and petunia, the nursery section smells heavenly.

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 6:06PM

So I was a busy girl and moved a small Columbine from another garden to finish off this one.

Closeup of some of those Columbines.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 1:13PM
finchelover(5b-6)

I bought some last year and my daughter gave me hers and None came up. I heard they will revert back to the "old" type. Are you finding this problem

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! Well, it's a grey...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™