HAVE: Mundane, boring stuff for Green Elephant

pianojuggler(z8b WA)October 31, 2009

This will be my first time bringing plants to the G.E.

I have a handful of pretty mundane, boring, but very healthy offerings:

* Euonymus Fortunei 'Kewensis' ("Kew Winter Creeper") - dormant, but healthy

* Thymus Pseudolanuginosus (Wooly Thyme) - great lawn alternative!

* Various sedums -- s Reflexum, s Spurium -- low-growing groundcover types. Mostly evergreen varieties. A few miniatures.

* Some other succulent I have not identified, but spreads densely.

* Rosemary "Tuscan blue".

* Anything else that finds its way into the car.

I could shake loose a few Pacific Yew rooted cuttings if someone asks.

I also have a bunch of Red Cedar volunteers in 4" pots if you want to start your own forest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treepalm(z8WA)

Hello Piano juggler,
I'm interested in the Tuscan Blue Rosemary. What are you looking for?
Teresa

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 7:41PM
bejoy_gw(PNW8)

Hi Piano jugglar.

Those are nice offerings.

I would like to trade for your Wooly thyme. What are you interested in?

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 1:18AM
kellycomposter(8)

Hi Piano Jugglar -

I would like to trade for your s spurium sedum. See my post for my haves and my trades list. Let me know what you are interested in. Thanks! Kelly

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 1:50PM
bejoy2(8)

May I please have a Pacific yew? Check my previous posting to see if I have anything you would like.
Thanks,
Tammy

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 5:31PM
pianojuggler(z8b WA)

Whew! I thought I would end up bringing home pretty much everything I brought. Thanks for the interest!

I am looking for any good ground covers -- the lower-maintenance the better, drought-tolderant, and suitable for shade or part-sun. I need to cover a pretty steep bank with things that will help prevent erosion.

bejoy: If you are interested in large quantities of WT, let me know and I can toss some more in the car. I have a few different varieties.

kellyc: I will bring plenty of low-growing sedums. I have some that drop their leaves (like they are going dormant right now) and one that I think is evergreen. Since I have gotten most of mine from other people's cuttings, identification is a bit dicey (but that's the fun part, right?). I just got some really cute ones with coral pink leaves. I would like a couple of your lavender seedlings.

bejoy2: Please note that the Yew is rooted cuttings... They are still only about 4" tall in 4" pots, but I will see if I have a taller one that I can toss in a pot this week. I would like some of your arctostaph u-u, and any sedums. I'm getting addicted to sedums.

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 9:48PM
bejoy_gw(PNW8)

Hi pianojuggler..I would really like some of every variety of wooly thyme you have.

We have some sweet woodruff that likes shade for a ground cover..also ajuga works well..as does vinca minor which we have. I also have St.Johnswort which is good for erosion..but can be quite invasive.If you would like any of these..let me know and I will go digging.

Bejoy (Marie)

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 1:00AM
pianojuggler(z8b WA)

Hi, bejoy... I will bring a handful of varieties of WT. I have been scavenging cuttings for a couple of years. I am on a five-year mission to kill my lawn and I'm replacing large sections with WT. Some is woolier than others, some flower, some don't, and my faves have muted grey-green leaves.

I have been warned away from vinca due to its invasive nature (although someone else here (gardengal?) said it is easy to control -- much easier than ivy or blackberry which is what I'm trying eradicate). I have ajuga already taking over my lawn. I will try some of the woodruff, though.

Thanks,
pj

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 10:32AM
bejoy_gw(PNW8)

Pianojuggler..I will bring you some sweet woodruff. I know what you mean by trying to eradicate the blackberry vines. I haven't succeeded yet...still trying.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 8:13PM
purplelotus

hi Piano Juggler,
I would like to get some wooly thyme and rosemary if you have. looks like from google search WT will grow on rocks? I have rock walls all around that I am trying to cover.
please take a look at page and let me know if anything that intersts you there. thanks

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 12:07AM
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

I'll take all the red cedars you can give me. I don't have my plants organized, but I'll bring a pickup full.

Jim

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 6:44PM
pianojuggler(z8b WA)

purpleotus, WT will slowly crawl over a rock wall, from above but will probably stop a foot or so from dirt. If these are retaining walls with soil on the other side, you may want to consider some sedums... there's a reason their other name is "stonecrop".

I will have a good quantity of small rosemary rooted cuttings. They will grow into 2- to 3-foot mini-shrubs in a couple years and are nicely low-maintenance. They are great for planting at the base of a wall to soften the visual appearance.

Jim, I will bring a bunch of this year's volunteers. Some may be out of pots, so if you have a shallow tub or something, that might help. I may also have some fir and spruce volunteers, if you're interested. (Oh, and thanks again for all of your hard work in organizing this!)

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 7:13PM
bejoy2(8)

Pianojuggler, rooted cuttings of pacific yew are fine, I'll take all you are willing to part with. I will bring a selection of sedums for you to look at.
-Tammy

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 1:24PM
treepalm(z8WA)

Thanks Pianojuggler, for the rosemary. I have several ground covers that you might be interested in.
Teresa

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 3:46PM
pianojuggler(z8b WA)

treepalm, you are welcome. I did score several GCs at the trade, so I have to see where I have areas that still need some. I'll be in touch, or we'll just swap some more at the spring GE.

Cheers,
pj

Bookmark   November 7, 2009 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Drawf Snapdragon Seeds
Drawf Snapdragon seeds collected from last years flower...
GeekyGarderningGirl
willow cuttings, any length
Will take as many willow cuttings as able to get to...
oliveoyl3
HAVE: Common Day Lilies for Green Elephant - worth bringing?
I just dug up a whole bunch of day lilies - the old...
pugetsoundgardener
WANTED: Spring Plant Trade
Hey Fellow GardenWebbers! I think it has been about...
brianc2112
Looking for Oriental or Asiatic lilies, hostas, ferns
Need color and fragrance for shade garden as well as...
Catt Foy
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lumbar Pillow
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Rural Green White Pleated Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Minimalist Ceiling Fan
Lightology
Shell Chair - Black Bonded Leather, Black Frame - Mater
$1,300.00 | HORNE
In Between Time I Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road