WANTED: Gunnera manicata seed head

greenelephant(Woodinville WA)October 5, 2009

Looking for a fat ripe Gunnera manicata seed stalk.

I'll be at the Green Elephant Sat Nov 7. But if you have one in the Redmond/Woodinville/Duvall area I'd drive out to harvest it.

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rainydaywoman_z8(8)

I have a few, but I'm in Eugene. I'll cut them tomorrow, just in case you don't find one elsewhere, or in case someone else wants one. BTW, do you know how to grow a gunnera from seed? I'll try it myself if it isn't too difficult. After all, one can always use just one more gian gunnera in one's yard, right? lol

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 10:42PM
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

Rainydaywoman,

There's got to be a gunnera closer to me than Eugene, and thanks for the offer.

If you want to try some yourself, Gunneras do well sown in the fall. I just fill a flat with dirt. Then I take a butcher knife and slice all the finger-nubbies off the seed stalk, letting them fall on top of the flat. Do not cover. Let the whole thing sit all winter. All the pulp rots away and the seeds fall to the surface. They germinate in the spring. (Never let them dry out.) The seedlings are very tiny, and slow growing. But in 3 years a few will make pretty nice plants.

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 6:56PM
flora2(7)

Rainydaywoman: I'd love to try your seeds. I have a large seed bin and I will do my best to find something you might like. I know Jim has a lot of experience growing these from seed and I am excited to give it a try.
Jim, I wish I could help but my only gunnera died a few years ago so now I am motivated to try again. Thanks

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 1:38PM
rainydaywoman_z8(8)

Flora2: Where are you located? I'd be glad to share. I may try what Jim mentioned, and then try to give the plants away, but while my friends admire the two I have, they absolutely refuse to plant them in their yards! I love any plant with big leaves.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 11:07PM
plantknitter(8)

Jim
Did you ever find a seed head?
I see the plant at Emery's nursery has a seed head but it does not look ripe yet.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 12:56AM
harleylady(PNW/USDA 8b/Sunset 6)

rainydaywoman, wanted to send you an email but can't find email addie for you. If my email link here isn't working you could send email to me at my hotmail account, user name HarleyLady_01

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 3:07PM
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

Thanks all,

I found a ripe seed head.

Jim

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Iron Cross oxalis bulbs
Does anyone have the ones with the purple cross and...
barbe_wa
HAVE: Drawf Snapdragon Seeds
Drawf Snapdragon seeds collected from last years flower...
GeekyGarderningGirl
WANTED: Milkweed
I live in Eugene OR. Does anyone have a suggestion...
rainydaywoman_z8
HAVE: Date correction Olympia Plant Swap 2015
The date should be September 13, 2014. See post below...
barbe_wa
WANTED: Marionberry Cutting(Redmond Microsoft)
Anyone have any extra Marionberry suckers or will allow...
Brandon_the_Random
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™