WANTED: Have: Ginkgo seeds

eukofiosNovember 23, 2012

I have a couple dozen Gingko biloba seeds from various trees in Vancouvber WA. I've planted more than I can handle if they all grow. Happy to share the remaining seeds.

I've had good luck planting gingko seeds outside in the fall, in a sheltered, labeled, garden spot. They usually sprout in mid spring. I think the seeds need cold moist conditions through the winter to stratify.

They can be used for trees. They might also make a unique hedge. It takes some time before they reach good size. In my yard I have a 15 year old seed-grown gingko that is about 20 feet tall, and other 15 year old ginkgo that is about 8 feet tall. The difference is the taller one is in a richer soil and well watered, and the smaller one was in a clay soil without good watering.

The one warning is there is a 50% chance your tree will be female. The female trees start dropping punguent fruits at about 25 years old. Some people don't like those. I don't mind at all. The seeds are used in some traditional Chinese food but have to be specially cooked first in order to be safe. So the female tree is a potential exotic food source. If male, there are no fruits.

The pic is my 15 year old backyard seed-grown ginkgo tree, taken about 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eukofios

Sorry, this should be in HAVE, not WANTED

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 12:42PM
treepalm(z8WA)

I would love some seeds if they are still available. I had two ginko's in pots, but one died. I'd like to start some to replace it.
Thanks

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 2:20PM
barbe_wa

If you still have any ginkgo seeds available, I would love to try them. I think they would make excellent wintersown plants. Please let me know.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Common Day Lilies for Green Elephant - worth bringing?
I just dug up a whole bunch of day lilies - the old...
pugetsoundgardener
HAVE: Red sunchoke
Hardy Red Fuseau (Jerusalem artichoke)
briergardener_gw
WANTED: Info on Passionflower in Seattle
Hi guys, do any of you have experience growing passionflowers...
Brandon_the_Random
WANTED: starting my first garden , family needs help.
I'm a mother to 3 children whom this year are all goin...
pumpkinmommy
WANTED: Marionberry Cutting(Redmond Microsoft)
Anyone have any extra Marionberry suckers or will allow...
Brandon_the_Random
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™