WANTED: Senior with new garden need fruit & veggie plants

fantastic5(5)November 3, 2012

We moved to Madras, Oregon in May 2012. Our backyard has about 1 inch of top soil & under it is the builders trash, cement & rocks. There is not an inch where I can put a fork into the ground. My husband built a raised bed and tis summer we had lots of different kinds of lettuce, bok choy and got 1 small butternut squash and several zuccini. I would like to garden all year long if possible. I started seeds, in september, of Swiss chard, broccoli, kale, spinach and cauliflower but they are not doing very well, they took a long time to germinate and now seem to be stunted. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

For winter reading, try Gaia's Garden. The writer's garden was in Oregon and he gives lots of excellent ways of yearound gardening. The magic moment for winter sown veggie crops is 10hrs of daylight. Around early October. Plants need to be a certain size by then in order to produce in winter. I bet your chard will come on strong with the increasing spring light! Eliot Coleman is another great resource for yearround gardening.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Eliot Coleman Four Season's Farm

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
WANTED: starting my first garden , family needs help.
I'm a mother to 3 children whom this year are all goin...
pumpkinmommy
WANTED: Milkweed Seeds
Hoping to attract butterflies. Would like the native...
Rashley2
WANTED: Milkweed
Posting this message again as I logged in on a really...
vmpalmerton
Need ideas for quick planting
A friend's daughter is graduating from high school...
brianc2112
Looking for Oriental or Asiatic lilies, hostas, ferns
Need color and fragrance for shade garden as well as...
Catt Foy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™