WANTED: Whazzit?

hikermannNovember 10, 2013

Please / Thanks:

Seattle/Pacific Northwest - Have been remaking a client's yard (jungle wasteland....) and have come across a swath of a perennial (presume it's that as she has done NADA with her yard for literally years and this plant has persisted); appears to grow at least 3'-5'+ tall from the looks of the limp leftovers; is a rhizome which has sent its messengers along quite some distances just under the surface; best I can describe them is that they have somewhat a "carroty-like" look to them; when broken/sliced, rather orangeish, similar to the interior of some types of squash.

Any seers out there...? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bejoy2(8)

Sounds like Lysimachia punctata. If so, the resemblance the roots have to carrots is in color only (the plant doesn't have tap roots). Are the flowers yellow, with five petals that are pointed at the tips and borne in the leaf axils? Is the plant herbaceous and dies back in the winter?

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 5:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hikermann

Not having seen the plant in bloom, I have no information on that description; have concluded, however, they are most likely a day lily of some sort.

Thanks for your response.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Marionberry Cutting(Redmond Microsoft)
Anyone have any extra Marionberry suckers or will allow...
Brandon_the_Random
HAVE: Red sunchoke
Hardy Red Fuseau (Jerusalem artichoke)
briergardener_gw
WANTED: Spring Plant Trade
Hey Fellow GardenWebbers! I think it has been about...
brianc2112
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
HAVE: No trade needed: Cutting bamboo, canna, musa basjoo pup
Eugene: Cutting bamboo, very tall, medium diameter Cannas;...
rainydaywoman_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™