Picea engelmannii 'Fritsche'

kathy_il(5)July 29, 2014

Does anyone have any experience with Picea engelmannii 'Fritsche'? I'm looking for more blue in the landscape without adding more Picea pungens. In the pictures of 'Fritsche' the blue doesn't seem as strong as Picea engemannii 'Blue MaGoo' and 'Bush's Lace' which we already have. Any thoughts or alternative suggestions would help. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

any reason you are ruling out the Abies concolor and Abies balsemea ???

or Pinus flexilus???

of even the blue doug firs ... crikey blanking on latin ... lol .. they were totally bulletproof this last horrible winter in my z5 ... ah.. psuedotsuga something or another.. lol .. well half came back ... and switching over to google is just too overwhelming right now ...

ken

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:03PM
kathy_il(5)

Abies concolor is a possibility and I never even thought about a douglas fir. We do have lots of deer so the Abies would need fenced not sure if the douglas would need to be. Do Pinus flexilus do well in central IL? Thanks for your input, Ken.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:04PM

i dont know central IL ...

maybe dax would know ...

ken

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:28PM
sc77

If you want the best engelmannii around, I would place an order with Bob Fincham over at Coenosium nurseries for there fall shipment of Picea engelmannii 'Blue Angel'... It's an incredible blue and I believe can only be obtained from Bob at this point.

Coenosium - Fall 2014

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:56PM
kathy_il(5)

Thanks for the link, SC. Might have to get 'Blue Angel' and Abies concolor 'Blue Cloak'.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:30PM
sc77

No problem. Those are two exceptional conifers. I got 'Blue Cloak' this past spring from Conifer Kingdom and was very pleased with the color.

Another nice blue to consider is Abies lasiocarpa 'Glauca Compacta'

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:48PM
bluecone(Central Texas8b)

Try Abies pinsapo 'Glauca' and/or Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca' for a healthy blue color.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 10:16PM

Abies lasiocarpa 'Glauca Compacta' is one of my most stunning plants..

at 12 + years ... is barely 5 feet tall ...

ken

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 8:13AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Blue Angel is one of the best 'hidden secrets'. Bob brought scions from England at Adrian Bloom's garden to the USA. I have 2 grafts of it from Coenosium.

Pinus flexilis-reflexa is not a good species for long-term for humid climates. They'll get needlecast diseases. I wrote reflexa because all the supposed flexilis cultivars have been disproven from cone ID and are reflexa.

Dax

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:08AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

This is a photo of a third graft I purchased from Bob that I gifted to a friend... his soil is much better than my own & my plants are 1/2 this size (and a link to Bob's plant.)

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Angel at Coenosium

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:40AM
kathy_il(5)

Thanks, Dax, I thought you had mentioned awhile back that Pinus flexilis wasn't a good choice for humid climates. That's a great picture of Blue Angel!

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:55AM
sc77

Dax, your right! It was some of your old posts that got me trying to track down this cultivar. I searched high and low to find it, but it had a typo on Bob's website, so I only ever found a few international examples of it. Basically gave up hope of acquiring it until recently David Resavage posted this insane photo of his 8yr old 'Blue Angel' and let me know Bob had it for sale this fall...

Needless to say, I re-arranged my ordering plans and send Bob a request for one!

Full credit on this photo goes to David Resavage (originally posted on facebook), but I wanted to share this image will everyone to show how exceptional this cultivar is.

Anyone have any additional details on growth rates? At 8 years, it seems to be much slower growth than 'Bush's Lace'.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 10:15AM
kathy_il(5)

That's the one :-) . I'm placing a order. Hopefully, there's one with my name on it! Thanks for everyone's help.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Best Conifers/Design Ideas for Full Sun, Wet Clay Soil in pH of 7.8
Hi Everyone, I'm working on redesigning a space for...
Select Landscapes of Iowa
Ghost (gray) Pine seedling
This March the wife and I found a Ghost pine (P. sabiniana)...
pasadena
Pinus Sabiniana from Crimea, Yalta
3,5 month 1 month. This is another pine. Pinus Sabiniana...
printnik
Coastal Redwoods in cold climates
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice as my...
yesseniatr
Tree Repair with Screws?
Does this actually work, has anyone tried this successfully....
sc77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™