Does anyone grow Prickly Pear Cactus?

mary_lu_gwApril 22, 2012

I was wondering if anyone here grows Prickly Pear Cactus? My sister has offered to dig up some starts for me. Until I saw the plant in her garden, I didn't realize that a cactus could grow in cold Wisconsin.

I believe it is the Prickly Pear Cactus but she couldn't say for sure, as she got a start from her son's garden. So it is a pass-a-long plant. It is low growing and when it flowers they are a very pretty yellow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

It looks similar to the prickly pear that grows in my area, but our fruits are purplish pink. It grows wild and has survived temperatures of -30 last winter.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 12:06AM
ljpother(3a)

I have some in my garden. I find it is slow growing and just started flowering last year. No were near the display in the picture. It does survive.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 9:49AM
memo(Zone 4B Nebraska)

I have some in my garden Mary Lu. I don't know where your sister lives but mine doesn't always look too great after a tough winter. I have to dig out some of it due to die back and it can take some time for it to fill back in to where it looks full again. The flowers are gorgeous. They are wild here too. I got mine out of the pasture.

MeMo

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 3:05AM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

I have two varieties.
The native one is small with barbs and spines both! The other is a large Prickly Pear and grows quite large. I think they add interest and texture to a cottage garden, like Aloes, Agaves, and Ornamental Grasses.
I planted one clump of the large Prickly Pear Cactus in the back, nestled in with some old horse-drawn farming implements that were my great-grandfathers.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 4:02AM
echinaceamaniac(7)

I have the thornless variety. It's much easier to remove weeds around it.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 8:22AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

The ones with thorns are very prickly. I'm usually pretty tolerant of pokey things,but those were just too sharp.

Martha

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 5:36PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I love them for the blooms. I have traded for a few different color. I had big patches at my old house and I transferred them to my new property. If you have a place that is dry gravel full blazing sun you will get a large patch.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 9:57PM
marquest(z5 PA)

This is my orangy red one..

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! Well, it's a grey...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers!! A few of us having...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™