Golden Zebra.... site?

thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)May 6, 2012

The only other mentions of Golden Zebra daylily on this forum mention it's potential tenderness.

If you've tried growing this daylily, would you comment on its hardiness and the site where you have it planted?

I'm thinking, given my zone 4 garden, potential from drying winter winds and dense soil, I may want to pot this one.

Your thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avedon_gw

I was curious about Golden Zebra, so I looked it up on the AHS data base. There is no listing for a daylily with this name. Are you sure you have the right name? There is a listing for a Lemon Zebra, and just Zebra, (which dates back to 1948). Avedon

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:15AM
floota

The cultivar referred to by 'Golden Zebra' is not registered by that name. That is a trademarked name, but the same cultivar has been registered as 'Malja.' ( see below from the database.)

Malja (Malan, 2007)
height 10", bloom 1.97", season M, Dormant, Diploid, 8 buds, 4 branches, Clear golden yellow self with variegated foliage. (unknown � unknown)

In all honesty, I cannot see this cultivar surviving in MN, unless you grow it in a greenhouse or bring it in for the winter, as it is known to be tender even in zones 6 & 7.

The flower is insignificant, but the foliage is neat. I saw it growing in Houston.

Here is 'Malja' AKA Golden Zebra.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:29AM
wildbirds

Variegated daylilies are of interest to me thus an earlier search this winter revealed that the marketing name 'Golden Zebra' is both trademarked & patented (#14221) and, as given above, has been AHS registered as 'Malja' (Malan 2007) ... Seems to have originated in South Africa and was found in a seedling bed there in 1989. Interesting to see the comments re hardiness as I was not aware of the frost tenderness factor.

It is available in both USA & Canada thru a Google search for sources.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:02PM
thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)

The 3 I bought are Monrovia... tag says zone 4. But we all know Monrovia is a bit pushy when it comes to zones.

I'm now a bit leary of keeping them.

I hope more chime in about this plant!

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
finally got into this forum,and have to learn how to do it
I had to really hunt to find this forum again and couldn't...
jean zone 8 Ar.
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
Cures for Cabin Fever!
It has been too long this winter we are having!! Too...
Cindy zone 6a
Who's still on the forum?
Uneasy making. Is this still going to work for comments...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™