Leyland Cypress

rhomyJuly 12, 2014

I have 20 yr old LC which I love. They move so gracefully in the wind.

My question - is it normal for the green growth to be only on the exterior of the branches? The interior of these trees are bare limbs.

Thanks! (I looked through some of the older postings but didn't see any about this - please I know some of you don't like LC, but I don't need advice on replacements)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

In my area some of these go bald in the middle also. As do some specimens of various other Cypress Family conifers, including the native Thuja plicata; in the latter case in particular it is thought that a sparse habit is the result of site conditions being less than optimal.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 4:09PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I looked through some of the older postings but didn't see any about this

==>> really.. no post mentioned that interior browning and needle loss is ENTIRELY normal ... crikey i know i typed that about 1000 times over the years ... lol.. you gotta love.. unsearchable titles ...

perhaps part of it.. was that you think its somehow associated with your species ... it isnt ....

go to any forest .. conifer.. or deciduous.. look up.. ALL TREES ARE NUDEY INSIDE ..
as the canopy expands.. there isnt enough sunlight inside.. for the plant.. to waste energy on producing leaves in the dark ... and if they do.. they abort regardless ...

soooo.. on your babe... on a tree that can grow for 100 years [except for what it is.. lol]. ... yours is finally maturing enough.. to shade out the interior ...

ALL NORMAL ...

start worrying.. when the exterior is not thriving ...

ken

ps: at 20 years.. yours is barely entering the teens years.. in tree time ...

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 6:15PM
rhomy

Hmm i didn't write that I had read all the posts --Some --

BTW I don't poke my nose in other's business and don't usually poke my nose in the middle of trees

Thanks for the assurance!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Taxodium mucronatum photo
An uptight photo
bluethuja
Evergreen shrub suggestions needed
Hello. I will be replacing 3 boxwoods this spring....
zaphod42 SE WI
Name Game
Hi Folks, Im making a few name tags today and im stuck...
alley_cat_gw
Your opinion - new white pine leader
This white pine was planted last April. The idiots...
johniferous
Araucaria seed search
Hi, Does anyone happen to know where I can find seeds...
Mike726
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™