Rock Star Iris blooming in my house!

valleyrimgirl(2b)April 15, 2007

Laurie thought I should post a picture of my Rock Star Iris. So, here it is! It is blooming! I bought it last fall in the clearance sale at McFayden's store here in Brandon. It was too late to plant in the garden so it went on the windowledge in the house all winter.

Just starting to open...

half open...

almost open...

And a fully opened bloom...

And I didn't realize how fragrant the irises can be. This one smells wonderful! The blooms only have been lasting 3 days or so. But I am really enjoying them while they lasted. The iris bloomed just in time for me to take it along to Brandon to have at the hort day put on by the Westman Gardeners yesterday!

Brenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

That is so lovely Brenda, I'm going to follow your indoor potting advice if I'm sent any late TB Irises this fall.

I don't see the rhizome, did you cover it?

Sharon

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 10:54PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

This is beautiful Brenda! ..Thanks for sharing!
Konrad

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 10:55PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

I was lucky enough to see it in person, and what a beauty it is! The scent of it reminds me of grapefruit......it was great! Of course, I've also got Rock Star in a pot from the same sale, but mine is only 2" high.

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 11:18PM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

I had bought a few TB irises from the store and planted them all in a row in a windowledge planter. When one started to bloom I transplanted it (while fully in bloom)so that I could bring it to the hort day event on the 14th. I planted it below the surface of the soil so that it would be a little more stable in the pot. I will now expose the rhizome and let the iris recouperate from blooming.

Brenda

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 11:51PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Of course, I've also got Rock Star in a pot from the same sale, but mine is only 2" high.

Yeah but look it Laurie, you have a bigger 'Willy', be proud ;)

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 2:47PM
CrazyDaisy_68

Gorgeous... simply gorgeous!

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 3:27PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

Oh Sharon you're soooo bad!LOL

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 8:49PM
sazzyrose(2b Sk)

What a beauty Brenda. It is on my want list. As you know, I too had Irises growing on my window sill last winter and have yet to see a bloom. But the last month they have put out an amazing amount of growth. So there is hope that some will bloom for me this spring too. I need to get out the fertilizer and give them a shot.??? I have stuck them out into my greenhouse outside to toughen up a bit before being planted outside.
Shelley

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 11:43PM
Pudge 2b

Brenda, I've read that Iris make good cut flowers and will last a week in a vase (out of the sun) - maybe you can get a little more time of out them. Sure is purdy.

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 5:53PM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

Rock Star ended up in having 4 flowers in total. Each of them bloomed 4 days with a few blooms overlapping so I got about 2 weeks of flowering out of it. Not bad for my $3 purchase. Just think...if I would have gone out for coffee I would have spent more than that and only enjoyed my $3 for a few minutes. Whereas here I got to enjoy it already for 2 weeks and again later when it blooms in my garden.

Brenda

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 7:52AM
savona(z2bBCCanada)

It is a beauty! And I agree, what a well spent $3..savona

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 3:20PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

4 blooms is very good production for a young fan like that! I really like it Brenda, I love pink irises.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™