Handling Multiple Leaders on Leyland Cypress

celtic1978July 28, 2010

Something of a novice here but last year I bought a home and, desperate to build a fast-growing natural privacy barrier between myself and the neighbors, I planted rows of Leyland Cypress and Thuja Plicata. Due to my ignorance at the time, I didn't realize a couple of the Leylands I bought had already been topped to grow as shrubs. Now they're each about six foot tall, but with multiple leaders. From what I've read, the best way to handle this is to identify the "strongest looking" leader and cut back the others, but I just want to be sure that the Leyland will continue to gain in height (which is what I want) or if it makes more sense to replace these "topped" Leylands with ones that have clearly defined leaders. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

Probably one of the poorest conifers out there to grow for a lasting privacy barrier. When these things get some height ice and heavy snow loads and wind will destroy them.

If you are only dealing with 6 ft. plants it's not to late to make the change.

A much better choice would be Thuja plicata 'Green Giant' or Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz Wintergreen' with Hetz being my choice.

Dave

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
emerald green problems, maybe
Hi, I purchased emerald green arborvitaes (or at least...
evo_lution
Vanderwolf Pine turning yellow on ends
I have done a search on this site and see question...
frazier_1977
Larix decidua 'Pendula' & Picea abies 'Spring Fire'
I am looking for Larix decidua 'Pendula'. I understand...
ladylotus
Is this Abies borisii-regis?
I have some doubts. I would greatly appreciate some...
lcadem78
Coastal Redwoods in cold climates
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice as my...
yesseniatr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™