Irises

dlangend1120March 30, 2004

My grandmother had the most beautiful irises, a decades-old patch that spread out under the tire swing I would play on when I went to the farm.

The first year they rented out the farm, the white-trash tenants mowed the irises to the ground until they were killed out.

Fortunately we kept some of them, but the vast majority were lost.

In the house we just bought, I had to do major excavation of many plants (which I will add to the hated thread), but found that the lady who let evertything just go crazy had actually quite a bunch of irises and we are looking forward to the iris blooms under the deck this summer, our first in the new house.

Our church also has some nice iris patches which I think our perfect for churches and other low-maintenance gardens, twice-a-year cleaning and once-every-two-years thinning and you are well-rewarded.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enchantedplace

I love irises too. This patch of iris was already established when we moved here 18 years ago. There were also other colors in different areas of the property. We have divided them through the years and now have them all along the roadway of our property. EP

Bookmark   April 1, 2004 at 7:13AM
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

Lovely photo, enchantedplace! I have very similar irises of an unknown variety, given to me for free by my gardener who was dividing up an entire garden of overgrown irises for one of his regular clients. I was expecting a couple of dozen and he left me over 200 rhizomes. Since we have small properties here in the San Francisco Bay Area, I had to give several bagfuls away, but still had lots to plant.

I love these irises. Not only are they evergreen but they bloom at least twice a year, plus they are just super tough under all possible conditions. Amazing, beautiful plant and I really wish I knew the name of it.

Bookmark   April 4, 2004 at 4:07PM
donnaskinner(Missouri)

Beautiful picture. The older I get the more I love them.

Bookmark   April 17, 2004 at 12:37PM
MeMyselfAndI(5/6 central OH)

That IS a great pic, enchantedplace! Those are my fav. irises, too, the purple bearded ones. I have a big swath of them along a fence where I can't dig because of buried cable & elec. wires. A perfect place for them, since we just lay them on the surface to 'plant' them. Should be enough for the entire fence length when I divide them in '06.

Bookmark   April 19, 2004 at 1:37PM
hag49(Tx z8a)

This weekend I had the good fortune to find an iris that is breathtaking. It's the most gorgeous peachy/pink w/a coral beard. I have never seen anything like this one. I wish I knew what it was because I'd love more. I only got 2 slithers so it may take a LONG time before I have a patch....
Hilary

Bookmark   April 19, 2004 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Gardening in a pet's memory
Please, I have a request... Pet loss continues to be...
MarshaO
Any tips on growing Mums?
I'm not sure if I posted this under the correct category,...
robar
what is wrong with pyrus capital
The leaves have appeared variegated suddenly overnight...
paperdaisy
what's the most expensive plant you ever bought?
The highest price I've paid was for a Lycaste virinalis....
Nigella
Flower ID
I've seen these in a few people's yards near my house....
kmccullough
Sponsored Products
Vibrant Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Helena Garden Water Outdoor Fountain - HG54
$569.99 | Hayneedle
Marginal Bog Plant Root - Set of Eight
$49.99 | zulily
Antique Bulb & Iris Wall Hanging
| Dot & Bo
Hummingbird & Irises Flag
$8.99 | zulily
View of Arles With Irises Canvas Wall Art by Vincent van Gogh - 24W x 20H in. Mu
$119.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™