Fragrant, repeat blooming climbing rose?

kansasgail(z6 KS)March 1, 2004

I am looking for a climbing rose to climb up the side of a detached garage, and would love for it to clamber all over the roof, etc. Like the old rambling roses, you know? But I definitely want a fragrant rose, preferably one that blooms off and on all through the season. Do any of you know of a rose like this or have a favorite rose that comes close to this description? I already have a Cecille Bruner climbing up into a nearby tree. :-)

Gail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kansasgail(z6 KS)

Wow! I had no idea there were so many to choose from! I was pleased with myself for finding Cecile Brunner a couple of years ago. lol My biggest problem here with roses is blackspot, but the old, old ramblers along the roadsides have mildew really badly. I tried last summer to get starts from them and am going to try again this year. The garage is a cinder block with brown roof, so I think New Dawn would show up nicely, but I really like the idea of the antique roses. My grandmother had a beautiful old rose that was similar to CB but with larger blooms that I would love to find. I have no idea of the name. It was a beautiful pale, pale pink with a pointed bud that opened one petal at a time in a swirl pattern. It had a light, sweet scent and climbed all over her back porch and a fence. Any ideas? It could have grown on its on as a pillar, too, I think. Kind of like a fountain. Not a lot of thorns. It was common in the area at the time I was growing up in the 50's.

Bookmark   March 7, 2004 at 3:33AM
More Discussions
Baby crepe myrtle or weed?
Haven't mowed the lawn in a few weeks since it's been...
mattp321
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Name of this flower
Need name of flower we have in our yard. See photo
ldj1002
Inheriting a huge ugly crepe myrtle
My husband and I are going to closing on our first...
Zellanett
Please help identify this unknown beauty!!
This bunch just popped up in a well mulched area this...
almahaa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™