Fragrant, repeat blooming climbing rose?

kansasgail(z6 KS)March 1, 2004

I am looking for a climbing rose to climb up the side of a detached garage, and would love for it to clamber all over the roof, etc. Like the old rambling roses, you know? But I definitely want a fragrant rose, preferably one that blooms off and on all through the season. Do any of you know of a rose like this or have a favorite rose that comes close to this description? I already have a Cecille Bruner climbing up into a nearby tree. :-)

Gail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kansasgail(z6 KS)

Wow! I had no idea there were so many to choose from! I was pleased with myself for finding Cecile Brunner a couple of years ago. lol My biggest problem here with roses is blackspot, but the old, old ramblers along the roadsides have mildew really badly. I tried last summer to get starts from them and am going to try again this year. The garage is a cinder block with brown roof, so I think New Dawn would show up nicely, but I really like the idea of the antique roses. My grandmother had a beautiful old rose that was similar to CB but with larger blooms that I would love to find. I have no idea of the name. It was a beautiful pale, pale pink with a pointed bud that opened one petal at a time in a swirl pattern. It had a light, sweet scent and climbed all over her back porch and a fence. Any ideas? It could have grown on its on as a pillar, too, I think. Kind of like a fountain. Not a lot of thorns. It was common in the area at the time I was growing up in the 50's.

Bookmark   March 7, 2004 at 3:33AM
More Discussions
sharing garden club ideas or topics
Started a garden club locally and would like to hear...
nancy - mi
My favorite plants for this year 2014
Geraniums - so many different colors, and no bug problems,...
steelskies
Favorites - another forum sucking me in!
Gardening is a CHORE! Five years ago I only started...
kay21_utahzone5a
Name of this flower
Need name of flower we have in our yard. See photo
ldj1002
Please help identify this unknown beauty!!
This bunch just popped up in a well mulched area this...
almahaa
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Moon Lily Ivory 7' 8" x 10'
Home Depot
Allegri Brahms Chrome Six-Light 22'' Wide Chandelier
LuxeDecor
Hooked Wool Roses Accent Rug - RED/BLACK (BATH RUG 2x3)
$70.00 | Horchow
Turquoise Super Bright Sheet Set
$14.99 | zulily
Foamnasium Gymnasium - 1503
$222.99 | Hayneedle
Radiance Bisque LED Cylindrical Flush Mount with Prairie Window
$270.00 | Bellacor
New Runner Bokhara Design Hand Knotted Wool Rose Wine Red Balouch Rug Free P
BH Sun Inc
Aqua Bloom 9-piece Embroidered Comforter Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: