You May Already Know this, But... Cool Tip

organic_kitten(8)May 25, 2012

We have had very cool nights lately, and the blooms are not opening normally. I have gone out up to five times for a very few that I wanted to photograph. And somtimes a very pretty group is spoiled by one bloom not quite opening.

Yesterday, I noticed that several of them were very slowly opening, and on a whim, I reached over and very gently moved petals into place. Bless goodness! It worked! If there is resistance, stop, you might tear it, but I did it again today, and it worked beautifully. Inca Prince, Medici Palace, Bear Claws, qhite a few of them.

As I said, I am sure the great photographers already knew this, but it was a neat discovery for me, and I thought I would share it with you in case you didn't know this.

kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mizellie(z7 Al)

Thanx Kay but I knew it. I didn't think that anyone didn't know or I would have shared it.. It's a good tip, gal!! Ellie

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 12:44PM
flowergirl70ks

When I was a member of the iris society, they taught us to open an iris this way. Cup your hands around the opening bloom and breathe on it. Don't know if it would work on daylilies or not.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 7:58PM
organic_kitten(8)

That's a neat one too.
kay

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 10:31PM
shive(6b TN)

I always try to open those darned slow opening blooms. I usually end up tearing the ones with lots of ruffles like Wonder of It All. I might try Flower Girl's tip tomorrow.

Debra

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 2:47PM
Maryl zone 7a

I tear too. I thought maybe you weren't supposed to futz around with them. Now that I know it's doable I'll try and be a little more gentle. The warm breath idea sounds interesting. The good news as far as daylilies go, our temperatures are hot now, the bad news for the the daylily lover, is that our temperatures are hot now. Always something......Maryl

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Aphids on daylilies
What do you do about aphids on your daylilies? I don't...
ruthz
Critters from the daylily patch.
Over the years being out in the daylily patch, I've...
Ed
Rain, Rain Go Away...
We have had an abundance of rain...I am glad, but am...
organic_kitten
Suicidal gardenia post OT
Don't know if any of you ever read this. It's worth...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Best deer repellant?
I'm fairly new at daylillies, and I know that the deer...
bigack
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™