I can't find the attacker

whaas_5a(5A SE WI)July 17, 2014

Got this 7'ish Pinus cembra 'Glauca'. Had a slew of resin with the pine dust gooping out of the wound.

Wiped it away and took a paper clip and tried poking around and it was fairly deep in multiple directions.

Week later today I checked and yet another large gob of sap and pine dust.

Either this or several borers continue to borer in the pine or this is just additional pine dust flowing from the wound.

Given this is a 10+ year plant I'd rather be a bit more proactive.

Any suggestions for what to do? I can certainly apply a systemic but I believe it takes some time for the typical Bayer products to be absorbed.

Is there anything else I can use that is instant as a precaution since I can't locate and pierce the would be borer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HayleyMcH

Have you ever used Azasol? I've used it for my vegetable garden, but you can inject it into trees. It works systemically.

http://azasol.com/azasol-for-you/trees-shrubs/

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 3:06PM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Use a pocket knife and try to dig that borer or borers out.

I recently purchased: Bonide Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control which can be applied as a foliar application or drench. I got it on Amazon. It's only a teaspoon and 1/2 per gallon as a foliar spray so a small bottle goes a very long way.

After you've dug and if you're satisfied, wrap aluminum foil around the wounded areas and tie it in place with stretch tape or other. Aluminum foil acts as a callous generator as well as a barrier.

Dax

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:16AM

nix foliar spray. I read just now that foliar sprays are ineffective once a borer has bored into a tree.

Your best/only options are a knife and a soil drench followed up with aluminum foil.

Dax

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:25AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Thanks for the suggestions!

So I skewer'ed that m'fer. I can't believe how much damage it did. I kept use the paper clip as a guide to see how far it went. Hoping it was just the one.

I guess I will see what the tree does over the next year. Unreal how it goes for what I would have thought was one of my healthiest pines...one of my favorite screening ones to boot.

Still do the aluminum foil based upon the wound?

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:25PM
lizo(SE WI zone 5)

wow! this looks like something out of a horror movie! how did you dare to remove so much bark? (I hope he's the only one)

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 2:04AM

Good job. Yep, wrap it up. I'd do a drench, too.

Dax

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:31AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

It does look pretty bad doesn't it? I used the paper clip as a guide to seek out the gap under the bark.

We'll have to see how it recovers by next spring. Otherwise its going to be a very vulnerable plant long term.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 10:24PM
davesconifers

That is a nasty wound. The width of it is a concern. I had similar damage on my Picea a. 'Reflexa' about 4 years ago.

It needs to be sealed off. Sooner the better.

I had a huge wound. About 2w.x3 inches tall after all the cutting and digging to remove the critter.

I used Doc Farwell's Heal And Seal with great results. It will seal off that leaking sap in a matter of days. My tree now is completely healed.

Just throwing it out there as an option. THat is what this forum is for.

Good luck,

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree wound.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
Preparing Conifer Seedling Understocks For Winter Grafting
My newest video. Best Regards, Dax Here is a link that...
gardener365
Please identify this pine tree
Could someone please identify these pine trees? This...
picoazores_deleted
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my plant
bluethuja
Your opinion - new white pine leader
This white pine was planted last April. The idiots...
johniferous
Some conifers I grafted.
Conifers I grafted this winter are starting to push....
maple_grove_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™