Plant Growing Contest

imabcgal(zonal 6a BC Can)April 2, 2004

For several years a group of us ladies across Canada have been particpating in a Castor Bean Growing Contest. We name our beans, and report in weekly, how tall or wide they are growing. Joke around how great or poorply are beans are doing. A token prize at the end of the growing season, for the Winner. The winner is to submit picture of their Castor Bean Plant with them beside it.

Anyway, I would love some ideas on a starting another contest using another plant. Any suggestion for a different plant to use for the contest?

The contest will begin soon, April 15th if you wish to share in the fun follow the link below!

Look to the left of the page and click on

Garden Chatter.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Homebodies Cacoon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquadman1218(Z5MI)

How about sunflowers?

Bookmark   April 6, 2004 at 7:40PM
imabcgal(zonal 6a BC Can)

aquadman1218 -

Thanks for the suggestion I will present it to the gals, though they are already thinking of the castor bean. The castor bean if swallowed or chewed by an animal or small babe is poisonous, this is why I was looking for a more suitable plant for the contest. We have used it for the past 4 years, it does look quite tropical and would be nice try something different.

Bookmark   April 6, 2004 at 11:42PM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Amaranthus. Lots of different varieties, but the kind I'm thinking of sports purple leaves, stretches to about 6' x 3', has ornamental plumes good for drying and is edible. Great bird attracter and easy to grow. Unlike castor beans, amaranthus is minute when it emerges. It also reseeds. Try J.L. Hudson, Seedsman for seed.

Bookmark   April 14, 2004 at 9:07AM
imabcgal(zonal 6a BC Can)

Thanks for the plant suggestion Nina Marie. Locally in my area, it is called the Chennille Plant because of the soft flowing, flora. I didn't know the botanical name.

I chose the plant for our contest as, the zonal planting is wide and will accomodate all gals across Canada and the UK no matter their zonal range. The attractions of birds, which I know some of the gals will like and I like the dried flora advantage. We all will enjoy the beauty of this little plant in our gardens!

It does call for full sun and I will be experimenting with one on my balcony, that only recieves 6 hrs of sun but bright shade the rest of the day.
Thanks Heaps!

Bookmark   April 14, 2004 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
what's the most expensive plant you ever bought?
The highest price I've paid was for a Lycaste virinalis....
Nigella
Please help identify this unknown beauty!!
This bunch just popped up in a well mulched area this...
almahaa
Princess lilies
Hi, I have seen a beautifull princess lily called Julietta,...
morv
Gardening in a pet's memory
Please, I have a request... Pet loss continues to be...
MarshaO
Mutant Calendula :0 What's happened?
Evening all, I scuttled out to the garden to collect...
ashleighv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™