Bob's Honey Pot

whaas_5a(5A SE WI)July 26, 2014

I originally took this pic for the Rozanne but this Picea abies 'Honey Pot' is looking just as good.

One of the best conifers out there. Keeps a nice golden color that doesn't burn in 8 hours of sun here at the peak of the season.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantkiller_il_5(5)

whaas, that's real nice.
is that from fincham ?
what 10 yr size
ron

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:45PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Yep, he's the one. I still think Gold Drift and the seedlings will be a legacy that will be left for generations to come.

I'm guessing 4' x 4' in 10 years. Color is better in more humid areas from what I understand.

Now I have several habits and sizes to give Skylands a run for the money. Don't have to shade cloth these bad boys.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 8:30PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Naming it 'Honey Pot' instead of 'Honey Bucket' was wise.

The geranium cultivar is actually 'Gerwat', with Rozanne being a trademark used to sell 'Gerwat'.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:11AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hey killer.. even thought there isnt a scale there....

you could look at leader and side shoot growth and estimate size in 10 years ...

i figure i am seeing 5 to 7 inches ... going large.. 70 inches or so ... now if i could only divide by 12 ... i would be all set

subject to will going out there and measuring ...

and presuming its been in the ground a year or two.. and rather established ... annual growth could go up a bit if its not ....

ken

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:16AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Glad they used Rozanne as the tradename as thats a terrible cutlivar name. I remember another look alike Jolly Bee that I believe as since been deemed the same cultivar.

Ken, I averaged the growth rate to be 4". With so much rain in June the growth rate is on the high side this year. All my (non pot bound) established cultivars had similar results.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:53AM
plantkiller_il_5(5)

ken, I do know that, ever since Rich Eyre BARKED that at me years ago when I was eyeing burkes red. it's just easier being lazy and ask.
Who else has Gold Drift seedlings ? I recall there being 5
ron
Who have other

This post was edited by plantkiller.il.5 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 16:24

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 3:33PM
sluice

Nice!

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 5:36PM
bobfincham(z7WA)

Here is the original about 12 years old. The one to the left is 8 years old and a graft. The color would be better but they spend part of the day shaded.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:12AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Maybe call the next one 'Tiddlywinks'.

'Jolly Bee' was better (bigger, bluer flower and more compact habit) than 'Gerwat' but Blooms went after the introducer and he let them have their way. The basis for their claim was that the two were almost genetically identical.

So are chimps and humans.

Memorable selling names and jawbreaker cultivar names are common practice now among commercial growers that are trying to protect profits from new introductions. Often the cultivar names are actually informative combination words, if you know what each syllable stands for. Hence all the Monrovia cultivars with the prefix 'Mon' and the Lake County Nursery plants with 'Zam' (for Zampini, the owner) as part of the cultivar name.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:18AM
texjagman(7A)

I have Summer Daze and really like its form. In fact, I have located it near my Skylands. My only downer so far with it is unlike Skylands, it definately is losing its golden color in my mostly shady location. But I have no choice in Oklahoma. It would burn for sure here under our extended 100 degree + sunny daze. :-)

mark

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
"Best" Pseudotsuga for cold, eastern areas.
I'd like to add just a few Doug-trees to my menagerie...
wisconsitom
can someone please help me I.D. this please?
I've had this tree for years and it hasn't seemed to...
mora2817
Araucaria seed search
Hi, Does anyone happen to know where I can find seeds...
Mike726
Preparing Conifer Seedling Understocks For Winter Grafting
My newest video. Best Regards, Dax Here is a link that...
gardener365
Meyer Spruce (picea meyeri)
I'm looking for an alternative to P. pungens and/or...
basic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™