Will pine grow new leader

texjagman(7A)July 16, 2012

A friend of mine has a gorgeous 4' Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost' that used to be about 6-7'. The top got broke off in a bad storm. Other than being topped off it still looks really good.

My question is will this pine send up a new leader? Unlike a lot of other varietals, I see a lot of older pines around here that get tops broke off and they never seem to send up a new leader.

So what should I tell him?

mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

tell him it will take a few years .. they are trees after all .. they work on their own time frame ....

with a pic we might be able to guide him into encouraging a certain one to start the process ...

ken

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 4:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scotjute

Generally they do. I saw a pine (Loblolly?)in a cut-over forest that was probably 4" in diameter and 12' or so high with one lone lateral branch extending out several feet. The rest of the tree was broke off, probably in the cut-over several years ago. The end of that one long branch, you guessed it, has curved upwards about 2-3' making the new top for that ungainly broken off tree. Will get picture of it next time I'm over there and post it.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
multiple leaders on spruce
Hello, Thanks for reading this post, and for the help...
jasonvohs
Buying Cedrus libani var. stenocoma seedlings or seeds
Can anyone recommend where to buy the hardy subspecies...
kanssouri
Found a giant!
Found this guy while driving through town! Looks pretty...
treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
Deodar Cedar planted out back....
Finally got the hole dug and the Cedar in-ground. Lots...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
What are these trees?
What are these two conifers? One is blue/gray with...
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™