WANTED: Paw Paw Seeds

mellorv(3a)October 30, 2008

Looking for Paw Paw Seeds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bev_w(6a)

I have Paw Paw seeds from a SW Ontario stand, but I will only trade them for something equally special that I'm keen on collecting.

Please e-mail me with your offerings / trade list. Thanks.

- Bev

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 10:46PM
nyssaman(Z6 ON)

And would this be a native stand Bev..please do tell..lol

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 12:11AM
bev_w(6a)

Not telling, Jeff! Don't want all the grockles descending on the poor ole Paw Paws, digging and tramping and generally getting up to no good. Tourists beware-- there's hillbillies in these hills...

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 11:01AM
signet_gw

ok you got me ......what the heck is a grockle? and if I am interested does that make me one ?

Signet

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 10:48PM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Bev, I too would be very interested in PawPaw seeds. If you have any extras, would you be willing to trade? I don't post my lists anymore, but have an extensive array of perennial and native plants.

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 9:39AM
bev_w(6a)

Nah, Signet, you'd only be a grockle if you actually visited here and started bothering the locals (who all carry shotguns in the back of their F150s) about the location of the stand of Paw Paw trees.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grockle

Your post is timely, 'cause yesterday, an acquaintance from the neighbouring village dropped by with a bag of very ripe paw paw fruit, from a tree growing in her front yard.

So now I have A LOT of Paw Paw seeds.

Apparently I have developed a reputation as someone on whom people can unload obscure seeds. Last year I received several such "gifts" and I'm compelled to germinate them, and then I don't know what to do with the seedlings. I'm at the point of guerrilla gardening the park across the street.

Anyway, there is good supply of Paw Paw seeds now, although the origin of the stock is unknown. The tree was started from seed, but I don't know the source of the seed.

Mellorv, I'll take another look at your list if you still want some of these.

Bev

p.s. Signet-- what's all this with HOSTAS? Did you catch Hostamania? What's in the water up there? :-)

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 9:50AM
signet_gw

Hi Bev, I participated in a hosta exchange earlier this year .Thus the hosta listings . I have always grown some hostas...now I have more .

So what can I tempt you with for some of your PawPaw seeds? I looked at your list but dont have any of the items it says you are looking for unfortunately . I do still have the thornless blackberry cuttings I rooted . I have open pollenated hosta seeds . I have daylily seeds (if you have the patience to wait for them to bloom) Kiss me over the garden gate .... Rose of sharon .not anything earthshaking I'm afraid .

Hey did you know that they use Pawpaw in place of fats in baking ...most people like it better than items made with applesauce to replace the fat in a recipe

Anyway if you think of something I might have that you would be willing to swap some of "them there paw paws" for let me know .

By the way the Impatiens Balfouri did marvelously well here this summer . I collected bunches of seeds from the one plant .

Signet

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 2:39PM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Bev, I have Amsonia hubrichtii (probably plants, not seed) and Clematis heracleifolia (shrub clematis) the seed from which I harvested. Are you interested in a trade?
Ninamarie

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 9:58AM
nyssaman(Z6 ON)

Hi Bev.. I hope you are keeping those puppies moist stratified they do have a short viability..but you are a smarty boots so you probably know that already..lol

Bookmark   November 8, 2008 at 10:38PM
bev_w(6a)

Ha ha, Jeff. The seeds are being "moist stratified" inside their natural gooey jackets, on the porch. I just cut up a couple whenever I need to send them. Each paw paw fruit has four or five seeds in it.

Ninamarie-- yes ! I'll e-mail you.
Signet: I'll just pop some in the mail. Your "payback" for the two swap meets you organized!

- Bev

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 10:58AM
signet_gw

Hi Bev,

Received my PawPaw seeds today! Thanks so much ! Now to find out germination info on these babies! .

I am excited about these ....just got some Osage orange too Whoohoo !

Signet

Bookmark   November 12, 2008 at 8:46PM
mellorv(3a)

Got my Pawpaw Seeds, feels like early christmas. Just for a little info for the other lucky pawpaw seed receiptants, make sure you statify them, and when you plant them out, shade them for the first few years(use shade cloth, Cedar Singles etc), these babies do not enjoy sun when young. Thank you so much for the Canadian seeds Bev!

Bookmark   November 21, 2008 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
WANTED: updated list available
http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/marric
marricgardens
WANTED: Leslie Street Allotment gardens toronto
Slightly off topic perhaps but before I leap in for...
randaloulton
WANTED: looking for Tomatoes.....
I am looking for different types of tomato seeds for...
goodseedcharlie
Knifovia, or Red Hot Poker
I'll try this again, now that my email is synced with...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
WANTED: broom corn seeds
Hi , looking for broom corn seeds (sorgum ) .If you...
signet_gw
Sponsored Products
Winners Only Topaz 74 in. Media Base - Cherry - TTC174
Hayneedle
KOHLER Bathtubs Archer 5 ft. Left Drain Soaking Tub in Cashmere K-1947-VBL-K4
Home Depot
Monte Grande English Bronze Wall Mount Lantern
$116.00 | Bellacor
Whitehaus WHKN1128 Ceramic Rectangular Wall Mount Bathroom Sink Basin
$879.00 | Blue Bath
Seed Floral Satin-Trim 300-Thread Count Down Blanket
$89.99 | zulily