Horstmann's Silberlocke-grafted or seedling

rabbit2348(5b)July 24, 2014

I've been researching Abies Koreana Horstmann's Silberlocke and am confused as to whether this is grown from a seedling, grafted or grown both ways. I see that some nurseries say "grafted." Does it make a difference? Should I be asking what it is grafted onto?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

first.. nomenclature.. a seedlings is NOT HS ... that would NOT be a proper name for such.. as they do NOT come true from seed ...

a grafted plant... one would presume.. that the scion is from HS ... and if so.. it is a true clone of such ... it is HS ...

the problem is... that seedlings.. LOOK like HS ... they are pretty darn close... but as they mature... they can derivative from the classic ...

so in the way back machine ... someone was selling seedlings under the cultivar name ... and so the confusion started ...

frankly.. most of us.. could not tell them apart ... seedlings vs HS vs the other similar named varieties ['silver show', if memory serves] ...

all of them are great plants.. if zone appropriate ... [and do figure out.. even if zone is proper .. whether you can grow it -- ask if you dont know what this means]

for the sake of knowledge.. your research is brilliant... but personally.. i wouldnt get too wound up in it ....

welcome to GW and this forum ... we need some new recruits.... i will do all in my power to enable you... lol

ken

ps: the cones on these plant are magnificent ... do not fore go this plant for a name problem ...

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:30AM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

"Does it make a difference? Should I be asking what it is grafted onto?"
Not unless you live in a marginally difficult place for it to grow where the understock would make a difference. You don't list a Zone or location so the experts here (Not me ) would have a hard time giving you pertinent answers as to whether or not it would apply in your case.
All I know, mine is doing fine and I don't know what it's grafted on.
Mike

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:53AM
rabbit2348(5b)

Thanks Mike and Ken. I realized after posting that I shouldn't have referred to it as a seedling as one of the nurseries had both a grafted one and one from a "rooted cutting." Sounds like as long as I go to a reputable nursery, I should be okay. I'm zone 5. Thanks for the help! Brenna

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Yellow variegated Thuja cultivar at local box store!
Great, now EVERYONE is going to own one lol. Saw this...
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis
Arborvitae which branches' colour is changing
I have three Thujas, that i had for almost 2 years...
the_delinquent
Do you water, fertilize, and mulch Conifers like any other tree?
I'm sorry if that comes across as a dumb question,...
ilovemytrees
What's that on my pine? White fluff and black 'eggs'
This is Pinus strobus 'Mini Twists'. I was holding...
wannabegardnr
Tree Repair with Screws?
Does this actually work, has anyone tried this successfully....
sc77
Sponsored Products
ViaVolt Plants Fixture Stands for T5 High Output Fluorescent Grow Light Strip
$19.97 | Home Depot
Genesis Cold Frame Seed Starte
Overstock.com
Deluxe Seedling Cat Tree House
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
ViaVolt Garden Tools 4 ft. 4-Bulb T5 High Output Copper Fluorescent Grow Light
Home Depot
ViaVolt 2 ft. 4-Bulb T5 High Output Copper Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture V24
$92.97 | Home Depot