have: have - updated my seeds list...

smurf428November 14, 2008

I updated my seed list, I'm looking for flowers or grasses.. Let me know if you want to swap..

Thanks Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wendy2shoes

Hi Jen..I'm ok for seeds, but I noticed you were looking for elephant ears. I have successfully bought "eddo" or "taro" roots at the grocery store and grown some pretty impressive plants. Look for any 'bulbs' that have protuberances, especially green ones. Pot them up with the green 'knobs' pointing up out of the growing medium, or toss the bulb into a ziplok of damp soil and put it on top of the fridge.
Way cheaper than the 6-7 bucks that the nurseries want for rootstock (50cents to a buck for the edible grocery root).

Wendy

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 10:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greylady_gardener

Wendy
I don't want to hijack Jen's thread, but wanted to ask about your experience growing eddoes.
I just started thinking about doing the exact thing. I saw them in the grocery store. I had never seen them before so I looked them up and found that they are 'growable' as ornamentals but didn't really find the info that I would like.
Could you tell me about how you went about it? I mean when did you start them and how big did they grow and where did you grow them (pot, garden, shade, sun?) How big were the tubers that you grew? I was going to pick out the smallest ones but some of them were fairly small--maybe about three inches long by about two inches wide. They are super cheap--less than a dollar a pound, so not much to put out even if they flop I guess. :)
gg

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Wanted - "Patty's Plum" or "Plum Pudding" for sase
Hi, I'm looking for seeds of perennial oriental poppies...
mary_rockland
HAVE: commercial seeds
I have a good quantity of commercial seed packets that...
tegwyn
WANTED: Searching for Dahlia 'Suzy'
I would like to acquire one of Dahlia 'Suzy', only...
JDBourque
WANTED: wanted Big Zac tomato seeds please....
Hi . I'm looking for a few Big Zac tomato seeds, please...
herbeapuce
springbank 2015 plant swap
are we doing this, and who is starting it
wmc1
Sponsored Products
1812 World Map Print
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
WAC Lighting | Mythical dwelLED 13in Wall Sconce
$158.50 | YLighting
Americh Bermuda II Tub (59" x 59" x 23")
Modern Bathroom
Progress Lighting Goldenrod Accessory Shade P8714-01
$19.80 | Home Depot
Emblem Black 12-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$215.95 | Bellacor
Orbit Off-White Wallpaper R1917, sample
Walls Republic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™