i love lychnis

it'sALLartJune 4, 2006

OK, it's been a long long time since i've posted here, but i had to come back to tell you all of my new favorite perennial.

Lynchis (x arkwrightii 'Vesuvius' in particular) is a great performer, before, during and after flowering and if you deadhead it, you get two batches of blooms.

Before? Fantastic germination rates! Great chocolatey-purple leaves that put a nice difference to all the green during april and may.

During? Fantastic BRIGHT red blooms that glow and don't fade all during the season. And, as mentioned, treat them right and you get two shows. Also, these are non-invasive and stay in nice, neat clumps, each year getting taller, up to about a foot. So, if you are the "Formal" type of gardener, know this is not a messy plant.

After? LOTS of seeds you can bring indoors and start trays with in March, easy to maintain and you still have the nice dark leaves until frost.

What more could you want out of a perennial except that it was nearly impossible to find retail and I had to do trays in order to get them.

When i get a chance, i'll post a picture link to show mine off...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pam_whitbyon(6 Niagara)

I agree! Also called Maltese Cross, yes, a gorgeous bright red. I'm growing this for the first time and I love it!

Bookmark   June 9, 2006 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
flower id?
Saw this growing in someones front yard and took a...
ironious
Baby crepe myrtle or weed?
Haven't mowed the lawn in a few weeks since it's been...
mattp321
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
sunflower seedlings losing leaves
My sunfower seedlings keep losing all their leaves,...
paulhtremblay
Which flower is this? Petunias?
I have these in my garden and don't know what they...
Someusername
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™