rain turned to ice pictures

valleyrimgirl(2b)November 7, 2006

Ice is absolutely beautiful to look at, but awful to drive on or walk on. We, here in Brandon, had rain overnight and this morning we had a sheet of ice over everything. Tonight it is suppose to go up to 9C and stay about 7C tomorrow. So, hopefully the ice will have disappeared so that driving and walking are easier. I walked around the acreage this afternoon and took quite a few pictures. I would like to share some of them with you...

Burning bush on the east side of the greenhouse

Closer up picture of the leaves

Lantern

Lantern bird feeder

Clematis leaves still clinging to the vine

Linden tree seeds still on the tree

Three liatris spikes with bergenia and siberian iris behind them.

A volunteer blue fescue grass in between the log stepping stones that are also covered with ice.

The first birdfeeder (out of 7 that are out there) that the birds empty. It is so pretty with the ice coming down. But it is now iced shut so unless it thaws it can not be filled up. I may have to bring it inside to de ice.

My DH replaced the poor clay/gravel infront of the house with some crushed gravel for better drainage. I love the bright colors in the gravel now.

Anyone else have any rain/ice lately?

Brenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CrazyDaisy_68

Beautiful pictures, Brenda! Nature sure can be dangerous and gorgeous at the same time.

We had freezing rain early Tuesday morning but I didn't have time to get any pictures 8^(

Last night we were under a freezing rain warning/watch again but from what I could see we got mostly snow. My crazy kids were hoping for a day off... but alas the bus showed up right on time this morning LOL. I have to head out in a few minutes so I'll get to see what they are like... good thing I don't have far to go today!

Ang

Bookmark   November 8, 2006 at 12:19PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

Beautiful pictures Brenda! Yes, our yard was like a skating rink too. DH had to take a hammer to the ice on the steps, deck and sidewalk to clear them. This was after he slipped and fell, of course.

Ang, your kids would have been jealous, because our buses didn't run for 2 days. My oldest son didn't even want to go this morning. I'm glad he did, as I need a break!LOL

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 1:26PM
sazzyrose(2b Sk)

Beautiful pictures Brenda.
We had the rain as well on Tuesday(not as much as you did) followed by 8" of snow Wednesday morning. It is a nightmare for the older folks. We ran into Saskatoon on Friday to do some X-mas shopping and seen 4 vehicles in the ditch and a semi and trailer on it's side. The roads were much better when we came home yesterday.
Shelley

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 10:11AM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

Well, the ice melted and the snow is now basically all gone. We are having temperatures that are hovering just below or just above freezing for the highs each day and in the minus mid teens for the lows at night. I am thinking that if we do not get any snow this week that in the afternoons I may go do some more work in the perennial beds, cleaning more dead foliage off, so that there is less to do in the spring. I may even take the hedge trimmer and trim the cotoneaster hedge this week if it stays mild. Why not?

Brenda

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Sponsored Products
Runner: Genie Brick 2' 3" x 12'
Home Depot
Polar Three-Light Bath Fixture with Recycled Steel and Glass
$199.00 | Bellacor
Set of 2 Zuo Wire Chrome Finish Bar Chairs- Frame Only
Euro Style Lighting
Alternating Current Brillance 4-light Chrome Vanity Fixture
Overstock.com
Nantucket Outdoor Rocking Chair
Grandin Road