Rudbeckia ID needed

dyhgarden(7b)May 30, 2012

I've sown so many seeds and I can't find the photos of all of my seed packets. Can you help me ID this? It's already over waist high. I've been cutting back stems for bushier plants and it's quite a thick stand, getting ready to bloom all over.

Thanks,

Cameron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

It's a Rudbeckia Hirta - an annual in my zone. I think it would be more of a perennial in your area. But I don't know for sure. They are spectacular though.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 3:15PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Thanks! That's what I was hoping.

The foliage emerged last year after I sowed the seeds, so this is the first time it has bloomed. The foliage was green all winter, so I think it will be a perennial. I'm going to be overrun with this if it self-sows as prolifically as I think.

There's much more in my deer resistant garden. The deer herd generally leaves it alone, but while a doe was staying close to her fawn during the day, she "pinched back" a few for me. Saved me the work of doing it! Sometimes, the deer can be quite helpful.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 4:46PM
tuliper(7B RVA)

It's a biennial. I have one just about to bloom (like tmrw) in southern md. It will bloom profusely all summer, drop seed in fall, and when the first hard frost fells them, it will die. Luckily they are extremely prolific and without a doubt will reseed happily for many years to come. If you don't trust nature snip a few heads before 6-8 wks after they've bloomed, allowing them to cure and become viable, and plant where desired. Rudbeckia needs cold stratification so do this in the fall.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 6:46PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Thanks for the info! Self-sowing is preferable to me, but I will collect seeds, too for insurance.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 7:27PM
brpinson(8)

Great plant...EASY plant, looks good with salvia guaranitica or Indigo Spires in my zone 8b garden. Also Bronze fennel...picks up the brown color of the seed head. Once you have it, you will have it forever. I'm a zone warmer than you, and it is blooming like crazy here...also, a really good cut flower---you can cut half the plant back for flowers and never notice it. Always been surprised more people don't grow it...this is a lazy gardener's plant..go figure.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 7:45PM
dyhgarden(7b)

I have bronze fennel in a few locations, but not inside the cottage garden.

In the cottage garden, I do have the rudbeckia ready to bloom beside my salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue' and more beside salvia facinacea 'Victoria Blue'....along with coneflowers, phlox 'David', eucomis 'Sparkling Burgundy', coreopsis 'Star Cluster'.

Glad to hear it's such a great plant. I'm truly impressed by the germination rate of the seeds that I sowed! I'd love to cut bouquets, so that's good to know. With all of our rain, even with pinching back early on, the plants would be better a bit shorter in my cottage garden.

In my deer resistant meadow garden, I have this rudbeckia growing beside stipa grass and it's going to be a great combo.

Thanks,
Cameron

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
HAVE: Weeping Willow & Tortured Willow Cuttings
I am rooting Weeping Willow (Salix babylonica) cuttings. I...
sweetannie4u
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
Hard Pruning Tree Wisteria
I need some advice about hard pruning from the knowledgeable...
rckowal
Sponsored Products
Midstream Table and Wall Fountain
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Hand-tufted Moroccan Pattern Wool Rug (7' x 10')
Overstock.com
Pagoda crimson napkins (set of 4)
Origin Crafts
Neatnix Stuff Cubby Set - SCSET-11
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Justice Design Group GLA-8922 - Modular 2 Light Bath Bar - Oval Shade - Brushed
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Athena Nadia Changing Table - Espresso - 3353E
$105.00 | Hayneedle
Chocolate Lava Cakes
$38.00 | Horchow
International Silver Capri Frost 53-piece Flatware Set