Baby crepe myrtle or weed?

mattp321July 21, 2014

Haven't mowed the lawn in a few weeks since it's been so hot. These things are sprouting up in one area of the yard. I've seen them in the past but always just mowed them down with the grass.

This time I dug down to have a look and they are shooting up from roots underground. Roots are about 1" in diameter and about 8" below ground. There used to be a old red or pink crepe myrtle in the area, which I had to cut down (stump was removed too) about 4 years ago to re-grade the yard.

These things are only coming up in this area of the yard.

If they are baby crepe myrtles, attached underground, is there any chance to cut them from the old roots and transplant them elsewhere? Anyone have any ideas about that?

Or, are these just some strange looking weeds I should roundup/mow?

Picture shows how it looks above ground, and also the view dug out connected to a root. (in this case, the end of a root)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NinjaPixie87(7)

Definitely looks like crepe myrtle to me. I'm constantly cutting these down at the base of mine. I don't know about transplanting, though.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:44PM
ironious

Those are suckers growing from a large root that belongs to a big crepe myrtle growing somewhere or from one that was cut down in a spot near there and the roots weren't removed,

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 6:25PM
ironious

you might expiriment with digging up as large of a peice of root as you can and transplanting it.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Help with four 'o clocks
I just ordered 10 four o clock bulbs (local fundraiser...
dorry2
Mutant Calendula :0 What's happened?
Evening all, I scuttled out to the garden to collect...
ashleighv
Gardening in a pet's memory
Please, I have a request... Pet loss continues to be...
MarshaO
what's the most expensive plant you ever bought?
The highest price I've paid was for a Lycaste virinalis....
Nigella
sharing garden club ideas or topics
Started a garden club locally and would like to hear...
nancy - mi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™