Another newbie question

gdjcbMay 28, 2012

Hello,

I would like to extend thanks to those who graciously offered advice from my first post here. Through this forum I have found The Lily Auction site and what appears to be a unlimited amount of beautiful daylilies. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on a reliable seller(s) who auction daylilies that will do well in zone 5.

Thanks in advance,

Gale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

Gale, I buy from the auction (do I ever?!) but can't advise on your zone. You are very wise to check with others who share your climate. Good luck and have a ball.
kay

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 4:30PM
houstmag

Gale you could try Mike Grossman at Northern Lights Daylily he sells on the Lily Auction as mike144mann he also has a website I don't know the address though you could do a search for it, he doesn't sell off the website I believe but you can at least see what he offers. Northen Lights I believe is in MN so you should have no problem with plants in Zone 5.
Linda

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 8:51AM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Look for plants from northern more hybridizers. Emmerich, Norris, Korth, Mason, Culver to name only a few.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 11:46AM
sann777

Here is my two cents worth. I have bought a few daylilies from the Lily Auction. First look where they are coming from. I understand southern growers are apt to have the dreaded "rust". You don't want that. I then look how much shipping costs are. I alway try to buy several at a time to save on shipping. I also look at his past record. He/she should have a near 100% approval rating.
I am in Zone 7 North Ga. but pretty close to Zone 6. We get weather no colder than -5. I keep my lilies mulched with mini pine bark. I would buy from any of the states around me, Alabama, TN., Mississippi, but I also buy from further north, Ohio, PA, etc. I bought two from abundadantlilies or something like that and he was great to deal with. When you win answer their email immediately and send your money soon. If you have a PayPal account, that's even better. Good luck. Sarah

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 12:47PM
jkayd_il5

I'm in zone 5 too but in Illinois. I have ordered from Solaris Farms in Wisconsin a few times. The prices are good and he sends beautiful plants and nice bonuses. I figure if they grow in Wisconsin they should grow in Illinois and so far so good.

www.solarisfarms.com

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 6:01PM
gdjcb

thank you all for your responses, I appreciate them.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 9:00PM
gdjcb

thank you all for your responses, I appreciate them.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
How do I delete photo before it is posted?
If you upload a photo from your computer to a post...
Julia NY
Voles have started....again!
Have found the first vole tunnel in a while...in the...
organic_kitten
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
I copied this post from Jasminerose4u in the rose forum....
KarenPA_6b
Jean
I'm afraid Jean is discouraged. Hope she won't quit...
organic_kitten
Marvelous "M" daylilies, let's see them!
It's time for the M daylilies and I actually have a...
sherrygirl zone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™