WANTED: wanted butterfly plant( bush)

britelights(oak..b c)December 14, 2007

not sure what it is called a plant or a bush..

britelights@hotmail.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdahms1979

Bright lights

Do a Google search for the genus Buddleja, these are the butterfly bushes. Asclepias (milkweeds) are another genus important to butterflies as a nectar source and as a host plant for Monarch butterflies during their larval stage.

Here is a good site for information on Asclepias species as well as seeds of the various species. Growing our common Asclepias syrica is becoming more and more important as this plant is becoming quite rare in many rural areas due to herbicide use. Last summer while visiting family in south Bruce county area of Ontario I spotted only a single unhealthy plant. Farmers do not want this plant to contaminate their hay crops but the monarch butterflies are the ones who loose out in the end. There are large areas of Asclepias syrica in the London area but I am not sure how common this plant is where you are? Growing a few of these drought tolerant plants in your garden will more than likley attract the butteflies and allow you to watch their next generation develop. Many people view these plants as weeds but they are easily one of my favorite native plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Farm

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
african violet round robin anyone?
Or just trades? C'mon, surely we can find a handful...
froeschli
WANTED: Where to find Different Hoya's in Canada
Hello, has anyone found a place to get different specie...
rcharles_gw
editing your list
Anyone know how to edit your exchange list?
marricgardens
WANTED: wanted Big Zac tomato seeds please....
Hi . I'm looking for a few Big Zac tomato seeds, please...
herbeapuce
HAVE: commercial seeds
I have a good quantity of commercial seed packets that...
tegwyn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™