Kale

marricgardensJanuary 14, 2014

I've never grown kale from seed before, I bought transplants last year and tried it, first time. How early should I plant indoors to get good sized transplants? Any tips? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

You should probably plant it around the same time you would plant other cole crops, around four to six weeks before you would normally set them out. My daughter planted it last year - too many plants and too late. She doesn't have a garden but had the plants in a window box type container. I took them home in August and put them in the garden but they grew very little after that. The deer enjoyed them, though! :>

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 1:12PM
donna_in_sask

I grew dino kale last year - started the plants inside in March. The only problem I had was with cabbage worms; once they invaded, I didn't want to eat the leaves. If I grew it again, I would probably put up row covers or some sort of mesh enclosure. I didn't dust with pesticide, but I don't know how it would be effective anyway with something like dino kale with all its curly, cupped leaves.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 1:53PM
don555(3a)

I've grown it from seed direct planted in the garden and it has done well. When very young the plants can get attacked by insects but if you sow it fairly thickly then thin out the damaged ones when they are a few inches tall it should do fine. It's very frost hardy so continues to produce late into the fall, though by then the leaves are getting kind of tough.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 5:13PM
marricgardens

The only reason I was thinking of starting them early indoors was because we lose a lot of seedlings to starlings and grackles. Maybe I'll try some of each and see what fares better! Thanks for the tips. Marg

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 6:07PM
andrewsco

I'm thinking of growing kale this year - would mid May be a suitable time to sow directly into the ground or could earlier work (as kale is quite hardy)? Be interested to hear when other plant straight outside?

Thanks

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:07AM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

Seed kale as soon as the ground can be worked after the spring thaw. You only need the top few inches to thaw and dry out.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 11:58AM
Tessagirl

Put in transplants first time last year but had severe flea beetle damage. Wasn't able to harvest any leaves. Will try again this year. Any advice to control these pests?

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 1:01PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

You can't control them easily. What you can do is cover your kale immediately after transplanting with a light floating row cover. I use Agribon 15. Tulle works as well. Support it with hoops and anchor it tightly to the ground. It should be taut so it doesn't flap and tear in the wind. Flea beetles usually move on by late spring. However, you should leave the cover on all summer to protect the kale from cabbage worms.

This post was edited by Slimy_Okra on Thu, May 8, 14 at 18:15

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:12PM
Tessagirl

Planted red Russian and dwarf curled kale seeds today. First time with seeds so will see what happens!

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™