Longest blooming flowers?

Evelyn - 7-8, N.CA foothillsOctober 20, 2000

My Diascia "Blackthorn Apricot" wins hands down. It is a small delicate-looking plant. They are still blooming, just covered with flowers! I have cut them back several times, and they just pop back with more flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jt - 9

Its hard for me to decide, but thing Gold Star Esperanza, Blue Plumbago, or Duranta are my top blooming shrubs this year. In spite of 100+ temperature and no rain, they are still blooming.

jt

Bookmark   October 20, 2000 at 12:55PM
veilchen - 5 S. Maine

Pincushion flower (scabiosa caucasia) bloomed from the time I put it in the ground and is still going strong with flowers and buds. Mistakenly bought another scabiosa midsummer, s. purpea I think, which did not impress me at all--bloomed for 2 weeks then nothing.

Bookmark   October 22, 2000 at 7:17AM
Bill - 6

Hi Evelyn,
My favorite,although somewhat late to bloom, is Guara lindheimeri 'Dauphin'. It has been going strong since August with its pink and then white flowers. I think if we don't get a frost soon,it is going to bloom itself to death. One of those plants that people stop and ask what the heck is that?

Bookmark   October 25, 2000 at 7:22PM
Bill - 6

Hi Evelyn,
I would like to take my selection back and instead choose Malva sylvestris 'Brave Heart'.

This plant does nothing but bloom the entire season. A few years ago I bought a packet and thought it would be best to start early because it would take 4 to 6 weeks for germination to begin. So I planted on the 3rd of February. What happened but there were seedlings in three days. By March 1st, I had 18" Malvas blooming there heads off.

I still have plants from the original by the way of self seeding.

They bloom so long and so hard that by frost you can figure on pulling them out because they will not come back the next year.

Bookmark   October 26, 2000 at 7:05PM
Delicia - 9

Rangoon Creeper, Coral Nymph Salvia, Indigo Spires Salvia,Mexican Flame Vine,Hyacinth Bean VIne

Bookmark   November 3, 2000 at 8:09AM
susie - 9 houston

JOhnnie,
I live in Houston and I was going to name the same plants as you...At this moment, my duranta is going crazy with flowers. Guests at my home last week were very impressed with the duranta...I love my esparanza and the plumbago I have has bloomed almost non stop for over 2 years......Susie

Bookmark   November 4, 2000 at 4:08PM
Carole(north east)

How about wonderful Knautia (Scabiosa macedonica)in the burgundy and lavender.I gave up deadheading after a killing frost,and still I have bloom!!Started in late June. Carole NS

Bookmark   November 5, 2000 at 1:24PM
John D - 8 WA

My pink Meidiland rose which started blooming in May and is still going strongly--after several frosts (though the flowers are a bit washed out this late in the season).

Bookmark   November 18, 2000 at 6:04AM
Isobel - uk

My longest flowering annual was Cosmos 'Picotee', which flowered from March to October with deadheading.

Bookmark   November 25, 2000 at 3:21PM
swilly 9

Verbena! Still blooming...12/20/01

Bookmark   December 20, 2001 at 7:36PM
Bill_zone6(W. Pa)

Yes, Verbena 'Imagination'.

Bookmark   December 20, 2001 at 11:51PM
queenb(z8b East TX)

Pretty much the same thing as Delicia--Indigo Spires, Coral Nymph, and White Nymph Salvias, along with my Queen Elizabeth and Joseph's Coat roses, Callisia fragrans, Pereskia grandifolia, Crown of Thorns, and my Staghorn ferns throwing off fertile fronds.

QB

Bookmark   December 22, 2001 at 7:48PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Without a doubt the longest blooming flower is corydalis lutea. For me it blooms even in snow in the late fall. Has a very early spring start. Reseeds all over the place. Lovely in shade. Beautiful foliage. Looks great with everything! I love it with blue bulbs. Great with both mertensia and muscari .

Bookmark   January 15, 2002 at 9:55PM
peachiekean(z10A CA)

I'm glad to hear someone mention "knautia". I just planted one that I bought at a garden show sale. Its beautiful burgundy color goes well with other plants. I hope it blooms as well as the other scabiosas.

Bookmark   May 28, 2002 at 6:25PM
BarbC(8 coastal SC)

Ditto on the plumbago - the more you ignore it, the better it blooms - BRIGHT blue! You can see it above all else from across the lake. 2nd favorite is the Joseph's Coat roses, I think. Have about 60ft of fence covered with them.

Bookmark   June 1, 2002 at 3:06AM
Shadyflwrs(short season 7)

Hydrangea
Campanula 'Kent Bell'
Geranium oxonianum
Omphalodes
Pansies

Bookmark   August 3, 2003 at 6:10AM
MeMyselfAndI(5/6 central OH)

Nothing blooms longer than pansies.

Bookmark   August 3, 2003 at 1:42PM
chancygardener(6-NW AR)

Zinnias have given me the most bloom for the buck this year

Bookmark   August 20, 2003 at 8:49PM
Tomboy

Giant Pointsettia. Just one huge flower, still going after four months.

Bookmark   August 21, 2003 at 8:50AM
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

I've put in my first two cape plumbagos so I certainly hope I get the kind of long blooming season others have reported!

Here in Northern CA, many plants are evergreen, perennial and ever-blooming (okay, we're spoilt) so there's much to choose from. Here's my favorites:

-Solanum, potato vine
-Lavendars
-Osteospermums
-Star jasmine
-Pink cestrum
-Nierembergia

Of the plants that aren't ever-blooming, just a very long blooming period that surprised me: snapdragons. I got a cheap six-pak from HDepot for $2 and they stayed blooming for 18 months until the rust finally got to them! That was a great bargain.

Bookmark   August 21, 2003 at 11:11AM
ericmike

cloeme

Bookmark   November 28, 2003 at 10:10PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Knockout roses and stella d'oro daylilies-although not planted next to one another! April til frost which is usually late October.

Bookmark   December 1, 2003 at 6:47PM
pearlgirl

dames rocket, zinnias, shasta daisy (becky),iceberg rose, carefree wonder rose, raydon favorite asters......

Bookmark   December 2, 2003 at 9:21PM
boomchuckchuck(southern CA)

Lantana (confetti) is in bloom 365!
boomchuckchuck

Bookmark   January 11, 2004 at 1:37AM
pickwick

agree with two previous posters:Verbena tenuisecta (Imagination)(two hort.distinction awards).In zone 5,seed harvesting:predominately August-early Sept., though plants will continue to flower well into frost dates...
Allysum is very satisfactory as well.

Bookmark   January 15, 2004 at 12:28PM
rross(NSW Aust)

Ordinary zonal pelargoniums bloom here all year. I keep waiting for a dormancy period so that I can prune them, but it never comes.

Bookmark   January 22, 2004 at 6:06PM
yeona_sky

Geranium Rozanne shows no sign of stopping and it is covered in flowers. It really brightens up a shady spot in my garden.

Yeona

Bookmark   July 4, 2004 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
what's the most expensive plant you ever bought?
The highest price I've paid was for a Lycaste virinalis....
Nigella
How long do calendula flowers last?
Hello, I recently bought a calendula plant and have...
westernbluebird
Inheriting a huge ugly crepe myrtle
My husband and I are going to closing on our first...
Zellanett
What type of sunflower should I grow?
Hi, I've never grown sunflowers before and I want to...
nick0001
Mutant Calendula :0 What's happened?
Evening all, I scuttled out to the garden to collect...
ashleighv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™