Favorite house plant potting soil?

galileo(z5 MA)October 24, 2002

Just posted a question in the Houseplants forum and thought I'd try here as well--can you recommend a good potting soil for houseplants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nigella(9a-steamy)

Love your screen name! The best advice I can offer is to go to a small, indepentent nursery in your area and get what they recommend. They will know what conditions you are likely to encounter for you location. Of course, take a look at their plants first, lol, cause if their plants look straggly, the advice won't be worth much.

Bookmark   October 24, 2002 at 2:32PM
minkus(z5 MI)

I have been using Peter's Professional and Peter's Houseplant--they seem to be the best of what is available at chain home improvement stores (cheaper than the garden centers by quite a bit). My only problem stems from the large amount of peat in these mixes--peat is hardly a renewable resource, and it holds more water than I need for most of my plants indoors so I have to mix it with other things for better drainage.

Bookmark   November 9, 2002 at 5:16PM
eleanor_rigby(z5 OH)

Metro 360 by Scotts. I buy it at a local garden center. They have big greenhouses, start all their own bedding plants, and use nothing else. I use it for everything, and when I finally empty a pot the old soil goes into the garden.

Eleanor

Bookmark   November 16, 2002 at 8:02AM
galileo(z5 MA)

I'm going to look for the Metro 360. I bought some sand to mix with my other potting soil but haven't had time to mix; would prefer something all done for me. Thanks for advice.

Bookmark   November 19, 2002 at 3:22PM
gmatx zone 6

Try Sunshine #2 mix. Don't know if it is available except commercially.

Bookmark   November 21, 2002 at 4:47PM
wbussom

My favorite house plant potting soil is not soil at all, but Premier Pro-Mix, a soiless peat/perlite mixture. I buy a big bunch of it every year and use it almost exclusively for both indoor and outdoor containers. Love it.

Bookmark   March 25, 2003 at 11:31PM
Tourmaline3(Hawaii Zone 11)

I use Sunshine Mix #4, which has more bark with a coarse texture and sharp drainage. If I want to use a finer mix, I just sift it through varying sizes of screen.

Bookmark   March 26, 2003 at 4:10AM
xxbrandixx64(6)

My opinion is Miracle grows 'potting mix', its already got your fertilizer in it and its good for all different types of plants. It also has some perlite in it and its not badly priced for how good it is. I just ordered some more of it for my new plants. Its great! Any site ive been too has plenty of good reviews for miracle grow and usually has a good star point average! Hope that helps! :)

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 11:56PM
xxbrandixx64(6)

My opinion is Miracle grows 'potting mix', its already got your fertilizer in it and its good for all different types of plants. It also has some perlite in it and its not badly priced for how good it is. I just ordered some more of it for my new plants. Its great! Any site ive been too has plenty of good reviews for miracle grow and usually has a good star point average! Hope that helps! :)

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 11:57PM
liz2525

Wow,
Hmmmm, which of these have the best drainage. It seems I tend to over water some of my plants. I do chop up some bark and ad it to any mix I purchase. Where can I find Sunshine soils? This is a great forum for us purple thumbed gardeners. I mostly concentrate on my indoor plants.
Thanks, Liz

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 7:23AM
More Discussions
what is wrong with pyrus capital
The leaves have appeared variegated suddenly overnight...
paperdaisy
Gardening in a pet's memory
Please, I have a request... Pet loss continues to be...
MarshaO
Favorite & least favorite tree(s) and Why?
What is your favorite tree (or trees) and why? What...
Greenthumb
Present idea for a gardener/fruit farmer
My husband has become a fruit farmer/gardener. He researches...
kardomr
Dumbest Place to Plant Something
Oh my goodness, some people just have slow blood flow...
Ipomoea - 7
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Naturals Tobago Zavier Area Rug - RUG112582
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Flower Trough
Overstock.com
Coastal Succulent Wreath
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Floral Mills Preserved Boxwood Sphere and Cone Topiary
Overstock.com
6-foot Ficus Tree and Bamboo Planter
Overstock.com