Strawberries/Raspberries/Blueberries

Posie(z3 MN)January 21, 2008

Good Morning ! Gosh the temp is clear up to 20% above F.We must be having a heat wave ! I'm wondering what varities of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries that all of you might be growing and how are they doing? Do you mulch in the winter? Thanks for your replies. I grow Ogalla strawberries and Boyne raspberries and North Country blueberries.None of these seem to freeze without mulch but the deer love the strawberries and the raspberries run all over the place. I transplanted the blueberries two years ago and they didn't seem to like that transfer. They were alive last summer but that is about all they did, was live. We'll see what happens this coming summer. Summer is coming ???? (I hope!).Is anyone growing Saskatoon's ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twrosz

Strawberries  for many years IÂve stuck with ÂKent  I had also grown ÂOgallaÂ, a very good tasting berry, though a bit soft and more prone to rot in my often wet summers. The snow cover here is pretty reliable, so for many years have not bothered to mulch them, but a patch can really be hard hit in a snowless winter!

I donÂt know the name of the old variety of thornless raspberry that we grow, but it sure is a heck of a good one!

I had given up on blueberries, as theyÂd often winterkill  though, now in my new location and having a much more protected yard, I might try them again, maybe?

Saskatoons, I really love the flavor of ÂSmokyÂ

Terry

Bookmark   January 21, 2008 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™