Walmart's DEAD plants

ogrose_txMay 9, 2011

Stopped by the gardening section of Walmart this morning, it was already 83 Degrees and windy; there were tables and tables of totally dead plants. These weren't bedding plants, they were the gallon and two gallon bushes and shrubs, selling for up to $20.00. Made me both sad and angry to think of the effort put into growing these plants and transporting them. Guess this department will take a huge loss this month!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

That's a common scenario at many WMs.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 2:10PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Look on the bright side. They might turn up on the reduced shelves at a fraction of their original cost and be saveable by dedicated plant first aiders. Go back soon and check!

Here is a link that might be useful: ER for plants

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 5:10PM
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

I love checking the clearance rack at places like this, last week I picked up two Spirea for $2 each. These are pretty healthy, but the tops were dry and crunchy. The bottom leaves on each stem were fine. I gave them some TLC and they are now resting in my holding area until I can find a place to plant them.

I also picked up four 1/2 gallon pots full of violas for .50 each. No idea why they were on clearance, they were perfectly fine. I split them up and planted them out yesterday.

2 years ago I picked up an endless summer hydrangea at for $3......it had been hit by frost or something. The stems looked dead. BUT I could see new shoots ready to come up. It looks great now!

For the most part I avoid buying at these places, UNLESS I know what it is I am buying.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 1:19PM
primbynature

I experienced the same thing at both home depot and lowes in lufkin this past weekend. didn't look at walmart...i was so bummed by the time I looked at these 2 places I just went home. It was pitiful!

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 9:24PM
scully931(6)

I've seen it too. Don't know why some places bother. All that time and money and they don't even bother with basic care. :-(

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™