didn't get fig into hibernation in time...

pandorajJanuary 28, 2013

Hey folks,
We are new to figs, bought a little tree this summer, then brought it inside this early winter. We are learning as we go with it, and didn't manage to get it into the basement soon enough for some dormant time.... then we went away for several weeks for the holidays.

Upon our return, the fig has put out some major growth, as in close to two feet of new stem wood with leaves on the primary stem and about a foot on the two others! So much that it is even falling over. I feel worried about putting it in the basement now that it has put out so much new growth. Also worried about it's current crazy growth trajectory!

Should I do it anyway?
Help!
Thanks!
Pandora

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tony_c_m(5b/6a)

If grew that much in a short amount of time then it sounds like it's not receiving enough light. This will cause the new growth to be weak and spindly resulting in it falling over. You might want to consider in either cutting half of the new growth off and supporting it or just supporting the whole thing by using some stakes and some twist ties loosely on the branches. The tree needs to be moved somewhere to get enough sunlight. If that's notossible then you can use some grow lights. Hope that helps you.
Good luck!

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 12:13PM
ottawan_z5a

I think cutting each branch about 1/3 to 1/2 off will help in supporting itslef as well as branching out of new shoots. Then pinch the summer growth on all branches after every 6th leaf on each new branch. This pinching practice helps formation of fig embryos than elongation of the branches.
You may search for other post for "Pinching" to know more about it.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 7:25PM
fignewbies

Hi,

A fig grower is having a similar problem,
see http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0100002812153.html?8

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
Need to know what kind of fig tree this is!
I am hoping someone may know the variety of this fig...
Shelly Holmes
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™