Too late to grow a dawn redwood?

BoskoSLOAugust 9, 2014

Hi people!

It's been 3 months or even more since I sowed the dawn redwood seeds in 3 different ways as recommended by professional people...
And they still didn't germinate. They even didn't get swollen " a sign of germination". The giant sequoia seeds in other hand did germinate and they currently in bad condition as I accidentally left 4 sequoia seedling in one small pot and as I transplanted each one I disturbed the roots too much. If they don't make it, I will try again next year with more knowledge :).

Anyway, back to my topic: It's almost mid august here in Slovenia "middle europe" and I wonder if it's still worth to buy and germinate complete new set of dawn redwood seeds. If not I can retry next year anyway.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

I would wait until late winter myself.

FWIW, I tried a lot of ebay seeds with very limited luck a few years back. Then this last year my Ogon had some cones. No seeds germinated for me.

I did have good luck with so e seeds from FW Schumacher. They listed germination rates and were close to right even with my limited skills. I am not sure if they are in business still or if they ship to Europe.

its a neat project. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 8:30AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

If any sprouted now, they probably would not harden off in time for winter. Mine sprouted in April, and are about a foot (30cm) tall on average, and just now showing signs of hardening off and getting woody stems.

I second the Schumacher seeds. That's what I used, too. Definitely still in business!! I think they can ship international.

The Metasequoia seeds, I think they are collected in China, from native stands where there is more genetic diversity and better cross pollination, and the 80% cut is sorted for viability somehow, probably by a weight or cut test of some sort.

Here is one of mine. Had some leaf burn from herbicide drift from the neighbor, but has mostly recovered.

Here is a link that might be useful: F. W. Schumacher Company

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 10:39AM
coachjohnsonlp

I had very good germination rates with the metasequoia seeds from treeseeds.com. They always give you a lot more seeds than you order as well. When I ordered 100 norway spruce seeds I received over 200!

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 10:49PM
scotjute

I'm in Z8 Texas and planted Bald Cypress seed in late September and they did not survive the winter. As these trees are similar I would also predict failure of your seedlings to harden off sufficiently to survive winter. Best to wait.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 8:00AM
BoskoSLO

So the redwood seedling can survive winter only if their stem is wooden or can they survive even smaller? Because my giant sequoia seedling are no more taller than 4inch and their stem is ~ 0.07inch wide.

And i will order a pack of dawn redwood seeds later this year and cold stratify them until february.
I may sound as a beginner "because I'm one :)" but I'm interested in this kind of hobby and getting info from you guys, it helps a lot.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 11:22AM

I would think for the easiest time you should keep them on a normal cycle. I'm sure you could do something like start them now and bring them inside the garage every night until they go dormant in December then let them out of dormancy a few weeks late if you can.

Just seems like trouble though and like you'll have a lower success rate.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:07AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Here is what I mean by just getting a woody stem...this is one of mine yesterday. Not all the way woody, but starting.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 7:23AM
BoskoSLO

Here is my biggest giant sequoia seedling. It's my first attempt thou and I may not give it the best environment to grow and that's why it's so small. It sprouted in early/middle may and it looks healthy so far. I guess this seedling doesn't have any chance to survive the winter? I will for sure try again next year.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 7:33AM

I wouldn't throw them out by any means. Just pay attention to the frosts if things look tender. May isn't August so its not real far off schedule.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:32PM
BoskoSLO

So after 2 months all 8 giant sequoia seedlings survived and they started to harden "getting woody". The picture attached here is the same seedling as my last post I made here 2 months ago.

I'm glad I didn't threw them away :)

Bookmark   October 14, 2014 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
Ginkgo bilobal 'Variegata' -- testing pix upload
well .. you cant do two at once ... and you cant go...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Test
Test
bamboo_nuts
multiple leaders on spruce
Hello, Thanks for reading this post, and for the help...
jasonvohs
Taxodium mucronatum photo
An uptight photo
bluethuja
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™