Planted an LSU Purple whip from Just Fruits

kumquat1January 16, 2012

and Exotics early in November. Little green buds have persisted in greenness. We have had some cold weather, even frosts, but it is still looking ready to pop out with leaves and fruit buds as soon as weather permits. I have been putting coffee grounds, banana peelings, overripe bananas, etc, around the little trunk. Watering when we have a dry week. Should I pick any little fruits off the first year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fredfig(7)

Hi ! I would pick off any young fruit buds , this first year. Let all growing energy go to the roots and tree.
LSU purple is a nice choice. Good tasting figs after the first couple of years. Enjoy the hobby!!

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 8:46AM
kumquat1

Thanks, Fred! Seems like a good idea.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 8:16PM
King.Fig

In my yard, LSU Purple has the property of leafing out early in the spring and dropping its leaves late in the fall. It is a very good tasting fig. To get if off to a real good start, always keep the ground moist for the first year after it is planted.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 10:25PM
melikeeatplants

Pinching them all off is a good idea but you might want to leave 1 or 2 so you can try them out.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 10:44AM
King.Fig

I know this will be hard to do. However, pinch all of those little figs off. Too much energy is usually wasted when a young tree tries to ripen those figs. That energy is best utilized in the formation of new roots. Leave too many figs on your young tree this summer and next spring it could very well be dead.

FYI. I recently received a nice 3 1/2 ft fig tree whip from Just Fruits and Exotics. They sell very nice fruit trees and do a great job of packing & shipping them. The first thing I did after receiving my fig tree was to cut 1 1/2 feet off of the top. (made the cut about 1/2 inch above a viable node.) That was done for several reasons:

1) this pruning will help bring the young trees root-mass into better balance with its top branch. 2) this pruning will force new branches to emerge from along side of the whip. 3) the 1 1/2 feet portion that was cut off gave me two very nice cuttings that I am now rooting for a back up tree.

When this new tree gets planted in the ground in a couple of weeks, I will be planting it 4 inches deeper than the soil line of the original container. By planting it deeper than the original soil line, new roots will have a place to emerge above those already established on my new tree. You can do this easy trick when planting your tree to get it off to a real good start.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 7:59PM
kumquat1

Great suggestions! Thanks.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Need help for my fig tree cutting
Hi There, I propagated over 10 fig trees indoor from...
pacifica9231
fig question
Has anyone tried to grow fig olympian and did they...
boydanny
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
Figs not growing further after fruit set?
I bought three fig trees (Adam, Cape Brown and White...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
Sponsored Products
23" Black Granite Bathroom Vessel Sink - PEGASUS SHADOW
Living'ROC
CSL Under Cabinet 10" Long Interconnect Cable
Euro Style Lighting
Milford Wall Sconce by Hudson Valley Lighting
$128.00 | Lumens
Jovanna 2-Seat Outdoor Bench
Grandin Road
Green 5050 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Economy Wood Plantation Shutters. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Area Rug: Breaking Waves Indigo 3' x 5'
$88.97 | Home Depot
Maryse Acrylic Drop-In Air Tub
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™