perennial foxglove?

newbiehavinfun(7a - Southern NJ)May 3, 2010

I have some foxglove that I planted last year that actually came back! Huge! And in the same spot that I planted them! I ordered Pam's Choice but got a sport of it, I think, as they have purple flowers instead of white with blotches. Anyone else have luck with foxglove? I absolutely adore it but I've heard that it's a pain, not coming back or seeding itself willy-nilly. This was my first attempt and I'd like to try more. Any recommendations for good varieties to try? Thanks!

Megan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

foxgloves are biennials so you get a flowering in the second year and possible the third. I like the tall kinds - any kinds will do.

Ianna

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 2:34PM
roseberri, z6(6)

Hi Megan, Iam a rather new lurker on cottage gardens,
Many things that are biennials will come back more than the two years if they are happy. If they are not Hybrids they will reseed and then continually be reblooming. ALSO
There are a few species of foxglove that are considered perennials, a strawberry colored one and a yellow one.
The strawberri one is called "digitalis mertonensis" and are about 3ft. tall.
roseberri

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 4:41PM
organic_kitten(8)

Lucky you. I have some back from the last year, and I have planted a lot hoping for your luck. I also planted some of the pink.

kay

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 6:47PM
cindjo2(6)

I planted them in full sun and they loved it! I thought they like shade? They came back too.. Not all but a few..

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 8:39PM
token28001(zone7b NC)

Mine are on year two as well. I had a few blooms last year after planting out wintersown seedlings. This year, they've really taken off. I'm hoping for lots of reseeded plants next year. I've already planted out a few wintersown hunks just in case. I want to have these blooms in my garden for years.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 9:24PM
natalie4b(7b GA)

They reseed like crazy. You will have tons of babies. I replant mine where I want them. My favorite plant!

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers!! A few of us having...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™